Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1 LTS Released

Ubuntu 24.04.1 has been released

https://ubuntu-news.org/2024/08/30/ubuntu-24-04-1-lts-released/

Which means Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1 LTS has also released.

For release notes please refer Ubuntu MATE 24.04 LTS Release Notes | Ubuntu MATE

Technically the release is just new media; as outlined in the first post I provided

As usual, this point release includes many updates and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-severity bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

This applies to flavors like Ubuntu MATE too, though this release has significance for users of the prior LTS, as the taps allowing upgrade from prior LTS will soon open too.

If interested in some of the bugs fixed, please refer to

10 Likes

Hi, @guiverc :slight_smile:

Thanks for the announcement of the Release of Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1 LTS - which is the first "point release" of Ubuntu MATE 24.04 LTS ("Noble Numbat")!

I've noticed that, with this ".1" release (Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1), the download links in the https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/amd64/noble/ web page (of the "Ubuntu MATE" web site - https://ubuntu-mate.org/ ) stopped working because the 24.04 ISO file was removed from https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/noble/release/ and was replaced by the 24.04.1 ISO file (ubuntu-mate-24.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso).

I've submitted, a few minutes ago, the following "Pull Request" for the "ubuntu-mate.org repository in GitHub " - "feat: update downloads for 24.04 from 24.04 to 24.04.1 by ricmarques · Pull Request #178 · ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate.org " - with the changes that I think are necessary to fix that problem in the https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/amd64/noble/ web page:

I do NOT have any write privileges to that ubuntu-mate.org "Git Hub" repository, but I know that @franksmcb does have those write privileges, and so does @Wimpy (Martin Wimpress) himself (obviously). So, let's hope that one of them accepts that "pull request" of mine :slight_smile:

7 Likes

EEEEeeek!, (delay) thanks... I didn't even think of that...

Thanks for noticing & checking...

(I'm off to correct the links at Downloads – Lubuntu where I do have rights to fix... so thanks again!)

4 Likes

24.04.1 isn't available for download. Only 24.04 is.

You can see what I mean by going HERE (click on that).

Please fix. Was hoping to try out 24.04.1, but yeah. Thanks.

P.S.: I sincerely hope the bugs are fixed in 24.04.1. I really do.

That is the issue @ricmarques was addressing.

Yes the downloads are available, its only the ubuntu-mate.org downloads page that hasn't been updated.

To download, just go to

as when the links are corrected, that's where the download will be made from anyway.

FYI: The final link I provided in my initial post highlights most of the bugs the 24.04.1 released fixed; though yes it does concentrate on Ubuntu Desktop/Server & issues impacting all flavors which includes Ubuntu-MATE; have a look as its a long list; but 24.04 users that have applied all upgrades will have had these fixes for a week+ now anyway.

4 Likes

Thank you very much. Sincerely appreciated.

Regards @guiverc !

Do I get it right that my UM 22.04 LTS can not be (safely) upgraded (in place) yet?

If you're offered the upgrade (and you've not altered your upgrade system), you can assume its safe.

The Upgrade Blockers on the status page I provided are now None.

FYI: I'm using the language I do as I rarely use a 22.04 system and thus can't confirm (easily) what you'll get. A quick look and yes I'd expect users to be getting that offer, but it'll vary on a number of factors. Further I just booted a 22.04 system I have, upgraded packages, rebooted & the upgrade to 24.04 was open for that install.

3 Likes

I was offered the upgrade yesterday. During upgrading, I saw messages saying that the snap library is not reachable and finally, when trying to install firefox snap, the process crashed. As a result, Ubuntu Mate is now destroyed on my computer. Marvelous ! Fortunately, it was in dual boot with Debian 12 Mate which is more stable and uses Firefox esr and no snaps.

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

Yesterday (Friday, 30th August 2024), I wrote here that:

Just a quick follow-up to say that, also yesterday, @franksmcb accepted that "Pull Request" of mine and merged it to the "master" branch of the "ubuntu-mate.org" repository in GitHub (thanks @franksmcb !). That action by @franksmcb had the desired consequences of:

1 - replacing "24.04 LTS" by "24.04.1 LTS" in the "Download" web page (in the "Ubuntu MATE" web site) of Ubuntu MATE for the "64-bit PCs / Macs " Architecture - https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/amd64/ ...

2 - ... and also of updating (correcting) the download links of the respective "Choose a download" web page - https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/amd64/noble/ - so they now correctly point to the ISO file "ubuntu-mate-24.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso", which is the ISO file for the ".1" point release Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1 LTS ("Noble Numbat") :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I've (inline-)upgraded my second Ubuntu-MATE PC today, from 23.10 to 24.04.1.
This was the smoothest upgrade during the last 8 years since I use Ubuntu-MATE! (after having an extremely bad experience upgrading my daily driver Ubuntu-MATE PC late April.2024 - see my comment here at that time)

I had to re-install

• WineHQ - the "devel" version (required for Notepad++ and HeidiSQL) - the "stable" version did not install!

Other observations

• had to restart three times until everything worked as expected (no other additional actions performed!) - but this was NO PROBLEM for me
  • the "Clock Preferences / Weather" works for me, again (used "Meteo" while this simple / convenience tool did not work - and will continue to use "Meteo" - see my comment here)
2 Likes

If you don't mind, would you check and see if you have the same issue as me?

Go here, please: CLICK HERE. Then let everyone know here. Thanks very much.

I suppose you mean this icon (see image below):

This is the way the icon is displayed on my "taskbar" (I use the "Redmond" layout since I started using Ubuntu-MATE). And it looks the same (does not change) when I click the "Power" icon in the "indicators" bar.

Via "Control Center - Appearance", I use a customized theme:

• Controls -> Yaru-olive-dark
  • Window border -> Yaru-dark
  • Icons -> Yaru-MATE-dark
  • Pointer -> MATE

For others wondering what other icons are shown in the "indicators" bar / panel, I use:

• TV-Browser
  • System Monitor
  • Variety
  • Meteo
  • Dropbox
  • KeepassXC
  • KDE-Connect
  • Bluetooth
  • Network (currently VPN connected)
  • Notifications
  • Keyboard layout switcher
  • Sound
  • Date / Time - configured according to my preferences
2 Likes

Thanks for replying, and also for looking into this on your end. Seems like your customized themes do make a difference. I dunno. But in 22.04, this behavior definitely was not present. Same for all other Ubuntu MATE releases (including 24.04 itself). Why now with 24.04.1? Interesting. Thanks again.

Thanks, @guiverc and Ubuntu MATE developers. I've been testing out Ubuntu MATE 24.04 in a VM, but wait for the .1 release before upgrading any bootable installations. So now I can start with those. My sincere appreciation to all involved in getting the new LTS release completed.

3 Likes

Hi - if you don't mind, can you report back here and let us know if you've noticed any boundary lines around any of the icons in the top panel after you click on applets? Same for seeing any application icons brighten up the same time you click on an applet. Thanks.

@Omnimaxus I just fired up a VirtualBox VM running UM 24.04.1. I have my panel on the bottom, but I temporarily moved it to the top to test. I also don't use the indicator applets, but added both Indicator Applet and Indicator Applet Complete to test.

With both of them, if I click one of the applets, they get the recessed look by drawing a frame around them and changing the background to a slightly lighter color. However, as soon as I move the mouse to an adjacent icon, the first one returns to its normal appearance, and the new one gets the recessed look. If I click somewhere else on the desktop, then all altered visuals are removed from the applet. I do not see any persistent framing that you demonstrate.

2 Likes

I installed Ubuntu Mate yesterday on my main laptop a System 76 Darter Pro with some reservations.

Installation went without a hitch. I did have a bit of trouble setting the display Resolution to 1368x768 but it finally set after logging out and back it. The problem of the mp3 thumbnails not showing has been solved. Engrampa will still not decompress files, but file roller will solve that problem.

I know people have been saying 24.04 is lagging, but my installation is about 3 to 4 times faster on my System 76 Darter than either 22.04 or Mint 21.3 Virginia which I had been running. That includes loading graphics, transferring to and from other drives and downloading from the net.

Overall I am very happy and will sign up for the extended support of Ubuntu Pro for 24.04.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for giving this a try.

The one change I made since yesterday was to uninstall file roller and engrampa and installed Xfce's Xarchiver which seems to have much better functions than file roller.

As for the grey out Ubuntu Pro updates after I ran the command to enable Ubuntu Pro to my subscription it suggested I run the command <sudo apt install ubuntu-pro-client> after that the greying out went away and I was able to update completely.

3 Likes