Ubuntu Mate 24.04 LTS Onboard Keyboard Crashes, Compiz Not working Properly, Crashes Alerts all the time

Dear Ubuntu Mate Developers,

Hope my message reaches you out.

I am one of Ubuntu Mate Fan for more than Six years and counting. Till Today when I have tried this version. Kindly be advised that 24.04 LTS has a lot of crashes and problems, which I have never ever experienced other than previous versions.

First problem is crashes alerts, after booting and getting to system. I did not face this problem before.

Second Problem is Onboard Keyboard from Universal Access, I would to draw your attention that on board Keyboard does not worked and gets crashed and can not type one letter before onboard and other crashes messages.

Therefore, I hope next update will solve these major problems.

Regards,

Hi, @Salah (SALAH AL KHANI) :slight_smile:

(Usual disclaimer: please note that I'm just another Forum user here. I'm NOT a Ubuntu or Ubuntu MATE developer).

Regarding the second point that you've mentioned in your post:

... you're absolutely right! In fact, that issue / problem was brought up here in the Ubuntu MATE Community in the following topic, that was started 10 days ago (on 29th April 2024), by @PYD :

You may also be interested to read my reply in that topic:

... where I mention that I I've done several web searches and the most directly related bug that I've found is the following one ("Bug #2063041 “crashes immediately on pressing a key with python3.12 (Ubuntu Noble 24.04)” : Bugs : onboard package : Ubuntu" - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/onboard/+bug/2063041 , that was submitted by the user "theofficialgman ", on 21st April 2024) in Launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/onboard/+bug/2063041

You may want to click on the "This bug affects 3 people. Does this bug affect you?" link in that Launchpad bug web page (to add yourself to the list of affected users by that bug) and you may also want to add a comment in that page to report your experience about this bug.

I hope this helps, at least somewhat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Ricmarques, hope you are doing well and thank you for your prompt response.

I have seen your post and would to thank you for your thorough explanation. I have seen Launchpad ("Bug #2063041 “crashes immediately on pressing a key with python3.12 (Ubuntu Noble 24.04)” : Bugs : onboard package : Ubuntu" - Bug #206304 “Tomboy.exe crashed with SIGSEGV” : Bugs : tomboy package : Ubuntu, and I did not understand what to do exactly. Kindly be advised that am not super user, just normal user who is enjoying using Ubuntu Mate from 2016 due to a lot of customization and better than Gnome.

I would like to draw your attention that till yesterday I have done FIVE times Formatting the laptop and Fresh Install due to error on Compiz Manager which does not show my customization, so when I choose Mate Tweak => Windows => Choose Compiz, everything goes perfect. Once I do restart my laptop screen does not function properly and get stuck on Noble Wallpaper. Do not know what to do or how to solve it, Therefore, I will stick with normal windows until they come out with solution.

One more thing, Grub Customization, Every Version of Ubuntu Mate am able to but boot image that easy. for this version 24.04 LTS. I have installed Grub Customizer, changed few thing and added picture and finally saved my tweaks, when restarting - - - - nothing appear only blank, and appears my customized plymouth.

This is my suffering with this version 24.04 LTS, and due to that, am going to stick with 22.04LTS on my other laptop until a solutions occur for those problems.

Thanks

2 Likes