Ubuntu Mate failed to install Broadcom Wireless Adapter

Hi
I am new to Ubuntu Mate. I installed it on my Lenovo S10 Laptop. I was very surprised to find out that the wireless card wasn‘ t recognized and installed. How should I credit Ubuntu when from the very first time it fails?! My wireless Adapter is a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. Can the MAC Address ( 00234EE537E3) be useful in finding the driver? Can anyone help a newbie to install the wireless adapter?

Please read this tip concerning Broadcom drivers -

The MAC address is designed to be unique (different on every system) and therefore is not very useful in determining the specifics of what kind of WiFi hardware you have.

Try posting the results of the following two commands instead:

lspci

lsusb

This will help identify the specific wireless chipset so we can find out if there is an updated driver available that will help get your wifi working.

Sorry you ran into this issue, but unfortunately, the PC market has recently been flooded with lots of flaky poorly documented combo WiFi/Bluetooth hardware chipsets which work like crap in Linux (and often in Windowz as well) and Broadcom is one of the WORST offenders.

This situation has regressed Linux by about a decade and a half back to the point where, if you want your WiFi and Bluetooth to work properly, you really need to check to make sure that the fancy new laptop or netbook you are considering has good Linux driver support BEFORE you plonk down the cash to buy it.

1 Like

Hi
I do thank you very much for your help!I performed some commands that might be useful to find out what kind of wireless adapter I have and what kind of driver I need.When you will have time, could you take a look to the attachments?Thank you very much!Kindest regards!

Hi SteveThank you very much for trying to help me! I attach the result of some commands I performed. If you will be so kind, could you take a look at the attachments? Could you find out what should I do next?Thank you very much!Kindest Regards!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been checking my forum security settings to see if there was a setting that might be filtering “attachments” because I am not able to see anything attached to your recent posts.

I know it’s awkward to reply when your WiFi is not working, so If you are replying via an email gateway on another machine, be aware that attachments may not be getting through.

Try opening your attachments in the text editor on that machine, highlighting the command results hitting ‘copy’ and then pasting them directly into the body of your message like:

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 099: ID 0cf3:e005 Atheros Communications, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 088: ID 0bda:0119 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Storage Device (SD card reader)
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:0177 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 020: ID 04f3:0396 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 001 Device 061: ID 0483:91d1 STMicroelectronics Sensor Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0c45:64cb Microdia

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 0e)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Atom Processor E3800 Series SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)