Ubuntu Mate Installation Partition Error (Needed Help please)

Hi,

I am trying to install Ubuntu mate for first time alongside with Windows 8. I have two hard drives.
Windows 8 on one hard drive and now trying to install Ubunt Mate on second Hard Drive. I am getting the following error message when I finish partitioning and press install now button:

“The partition /dev/sdb1 assigned to / starts at an offset of 3072 bytes from the minimum alignment for this disk, which may lead to very poor performance.”

I have also search on Internet for its resolution but all in vain. Can anyone help me in it ?
Thanking you.

Regards,
Zohaib Siddiqui

This kindof sounds like the first partition on the second drive does not start at a multiple of 4096 bytes. A bit odd that you get the message for the first partition - usually that problem tends to happen on the second/third/etc. if you choose the sizing of the preceding partition in a way that does not align to the blocksize.
Does this happen with automatic or manual partitioning?

Edit: maybe post the entire partition layout for the second disc, if possible.

I am attaching the error message which i got along with partition layout of both drives. Can you please suggest me its resolution. Waiting for your prompt response.

Thanking you.

I really don’t see why this error would happen that partition.
The boot loader device looks potentially wrong, though - usually it goes directly on /dev/sdb and not one of the partitions. Then you use the boot menu / boot order selection of the BIOS to select which drive to boot from.
I don’t think the bootloader selection has any influence on the partitioning, though, but try it with /dev/sdb anyway.
If that does not change anything maybe try a different partition layout.

Dear Can you suggest me any partition layout. I have tried couple of layouts but got same error message. Please help me in its resolution so that I can Install Ubuntu Mate.

The error is about the sdb partition.
Have you tried reformatting the whole sdb partition with gparted?

Maybe it helps wiping the start of the second harddisk (assuming it is /dev/sdb, this command should do it: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 count=1000).

Big, fat warning: make 100% sure you aren’t accidentally wiping your other disk if you pick the wrong device name! First check with lsblk which lists all discs and their partitions.

Hi @zohaibsiddiqui89,

see also:

1 Like

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for sharing useful article. I am reading it and will let you know if it works.

Thanks,

Regards,

Zohaib Siddiqui

1 Like