Ubuntu MATE is Going to be The Future

I have to give Congrats to the MATE desktop team, Ubuntu MATE team, And Valve. And the rest of the Opensource Projects in the linux world (i know steam isnt open source)

Ubuntu MATE Is PERFECT for Gaming,Office,browsing,productivity,Music,media,and is Easy to tinker with.
as far as i heard Steam is increasing support for linux. Such as VR Support For linux. Infact there are now about 5K Games for Linux on steam. Which should be seen as a big milestone. And im honestly Suprised an Operting system Like Ubuntu MATE which Is Free,open source and still Developing. Is able to work perfectly with steam and all of the rest of the Programs. even on a Low end Intel celeron Computer.

Good Job really!

15 Likes

Yes I agree. I have been waiting for years for a flavor like Mate. I ditched Windows finally.

6 Likes

Even tho i am Still running windows server 2008 on my main pc. i would switch to ubuntu mate eventually. however i continue to contribute with Betas and translating on my other computers to UBUNTU MATE and The linux community.

2 Likes

It's losing ground on "Distrowatch"!:

Last 30 days (14th in the list):

Last 7 days (23rd in the list):

http://distrowatch.com/

13th right now. I am sure it bounces around quite a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

MATE is what brought me back to Ubuntu.
I liked Ubuntu’s Debian roots and friendly desktop, but the hard switch to Unity drove me away. I tried to adapt, but it was such a hardware hog. I spent some time on SuSE, then moved to Mint with Cinnamon for the traditional desktop. Tried MATE when they introduced it and liked it.
However, I have a bit more confidence in Ubuntu’s ability to maintain security updates than Mint. So when Ubuntu-MATE came along I was all in.
I have Ubuntu-MATE on a desktop, home server and laptop. Rather pleased with it.

3 Likes

I feel the same, Ubuntu MATE is rock solid awesome.

The first Linux I dabbled with was RFed Hat 5.0. And when it comes to painful, that era was painful with quirky installations, etc. I switched to Apple in 2003 and finally abandoned them in 2013. My aging computers need to be replaced, but I can’t justify giving Apple more money for what they do.

I started looking for distributions that were easy on my aging material. Mint was good, so were the other light and nimble ones, but MATE does it all and better.

I also need to have something that can handle the light multimedia tasks I ask of it. Video editing, watching Netflix, writing my articles, and recording my radio and podcast shows. Ubuntu MATE gave me that with a terrific environment.

I found Ubuntu MATE and I’m not going anywhere.

And as luck would have it, I not only like mate a lot, but I am drinking some at this very moment!!!

6 Likes

As a new Linux user (I bought a Thinkpad specifically to run and learn Linux), I always find myself coming back to Mate.

I’ve been distro hopping for a few days since I got the laptop. First I tried Ubuntu with Unity and didn’t much care for it. Manjaro with KDE seemed interesting in theory, but I really liked Ubuntu’s software center (although AUR is quite loaded with goodies). I also missed the granular customization through GUIs that Mate gives us, however, KDE’s widgets were amazing and I wish I could have them in Mate. I tested Ubuntu Budgie and Mint and neither felt as good as Mate.

On another positive note for Mate, everything on my Thinkpad E450 worked right out of the box. Trackpoint was on point (hehe), all function keys worked and I’m getting tremendous battery life on it likely part in thanks to the preloaded TLP that Mate gives us. Extremely happy so far! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My experience with well-balanced Ubuntu MATE has been positive. Its on several of my computers as of the beginning of December and after a month of regular use in a non-commercial environment, it appears I have no reason to remove it and try another distro. That says a lot as there are plenty of ways to enjoy the Linux experience.

5 Likes

I agree, it’s been on my laptop for about a month after running Ubuntu Unity and I love it. I’m also considering replacing Ubuntu with Ubuntu MATE on my desktop.

3 Likes

I have very nice experience, using for programming and other daily tasks.

1 Like