Ubuntu Mate loss on Raspberry Pi 3

Unfortunately, I am now not an ubuntu mate user anymore :cry:.
The reason Iā€™m not is because it kept crashing or it would boot up, but not to the starting screen! The last time I tested it, it wanted to go to emergency mode, but it couldnā€™t load!

I hope someone knows a fix because I re flashed the sd card, but it doesnā€™t work. But for now I am not an Ubuntu MATE user.:scream:.

P.S: I will still reply to your posts.:wink:

Not a lot to go on here.
Iā€™ve never had such a RPi3 problem, without there being some SD Card corruption.
You mention reflashing - I suggest a change of card (preferably a differnt manufacturer)
Another thing to consider is the PSU - the RPi3 is more dmanding
HTH
Derek

Hi dandsmith
I have had a lot of problems with my Raspberry Pi 3, specifically trying to get it to play through the speakers. Hdmi does work but the speakers on the monitor are awful, so I want to play through the speakers. I too had problems with the SD Card, reflashed it many times and now it wonā€™t load Firefox or Chromium and doesnā€™t seem to increase the partition with raspi-config. By that I mean, I increase the partition and reboot, try lo upgrade or load new software and again I am told the partition is too small. I have a 32 GB SSD, so there is lots of space! So you are probably right about SD Card corruption and will buy another one from a different manufacturer. But what has been driving me crazy is not getting any sound through the speakers (amixer cct numid=3 1). So I try other fixes and despair, reflash to start from zero, nothing works. I also have the Raspbian OS SSD card, 32 GB. This one seems to work better, no problem loading Chromium or Firefox, but same problem with the sound. And I can only play youtube (without sound) on Chromium, Firefox hangs or crashes. Any suggestions? Many thanks! Connie

I can offer nothing on speaker use - my needs are undemanding, and my hearing isnā€™t anything like as acute as it used to be.

Your ā€˜insufficient spaceā€™ must refer to the boot partition, as the raspi-config will only expand the root partition, and some of the ubuntu update stuff seems to want /boot space. This problem with Pi and UbMate has been discussed in earlier threads - go search and read, as Iā€™m sure youā€™l find something apposite.

HTH
Derek

I have had problems with installing images to SD Cards and in the end I have found

sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/rob/Applications/RaspberryPi/Ubuntu_Mate/ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img of=/dev/sde

to be the most reliable. Using image writing options in applications like ā€œdisksā€ etc just did not seem to work. Though I continue to use GPartEd and Disks to prepare the SD cards to begin with. If the above CLI does not work, I would be 99% confident it is the card. (Make sure ā€œsdeā€ drive identification is correct for your setup).

I had problems with updating UMate on my RPi3 and solution was I had to reduce the ROOT partition, so I could create a second, larger partition that I copied all the original BOOT partition to. (ie on a 32Gb SD, copy BOOT files to hard drive, reduce ROOT by 200Mb [this may take ages], delete BOOT, create a new BOOT partition in the new free 200Mb space, and copy all the BOOT files back onto that new partition. Just ignore old BOOT space. It has worked well. My RPi3 has run Apache II 24/7 for last year and has been very reliable).

Good news! I managed to reflash with a new sdcard on a new 16.04 and everything works!:sunglasses:

All is back to normal

1 Like