Ubuntu Mate Rocks ! Its the best!

I was an old user of debian with xfce and later xubuntu i was a devoted xfce fan !
But ubuntu mate has won me !
Its fast its cool !
I have installed the newest amdgpu drivers and vdpau mesa fro the oibaf repository and i have the best
performance for my amd graphics card !
Everything is fast and cool !

Some thoughts:

1. Do something about tearing guys cause i need to have the compiz compositor to stop tearing
  2. please configure compiz and disable the graying non responsive windows option,
    also enable the scaling/expose future its cool.
  3. synapse is not cool replace it with gnome-do is cooller and more stable
  4. it would be cool for the lightdm to update its background with your active wallpaper

Congratulations for Ubuntu Mate its the best distro !

4 Likes

I agree with 4).

1) you can use compton to stop tearing.
2) and 3) I have no opinion.
Having never used gnome-do. I think synpase is pretty cool and pretty stable too.

3 Likes

I agree with first paragraph.

I have fetish by reinstaling diffrent linux distros. And can’t find many years what i need. Now i try ubuntu mate and it’s real awesome! All my needs done!

1. its problem, but compiz and 5 minutes setuping it solve that. One think what i haven’t - workspase widget don’t work with Compiz ( not scroll and move window ). But it’s so small problem and i can use key shortcarts for this.
  2. i agree with @ouroumov - synapce more pretty and stable.

Thank you gyus for real awesome work! :heart_eyes: (community site its so pretty too )

1 Like

Do you have a Nvidia driver? If you uncheck Sync to VBlank in Nvidia X Server Settings > OpenGL settings, it should fix the screen tearing issue you’re having.

Compton has tearing , except i should make some changes to the configuration file .
But i like compiz its cool and 3d gaming is fast as hell !

Synapse is not stable ! Not really !
Gnome-do is stable from my experience , synapse is anything but stable !
I’m talking about real freaking experience , synapse has betrayed me when i needed it most.
I’m absolutely negative about synapse !

You have the fetish everyone has !
I have tried every single distro so i can see what i like and what don’t
I hate totally fedora and korora ! Its a joke has nothing to offer anymore and gives you the worst linux experience you will ever have ! I recently tested the new version of korora and sucked epically ! The packaging system was broken from the start ! couldn’t update ! Cinnamon version has an awful performance not acceptable in any way.
I’m the unlucky owner of an amd graphics card but i can tell you for sure that catalyst/fglrx has lower performance than the amdgpu opensource driver, the opensource driver simply rocks ! perfect perfomance !

I’m not a distro hopper but tried a bunch during last two years, but as soon I found out that UM was an official flavour I installed it, couldn’t be happier. It’s better then ubuntu ever was with GNOME2. Have to say that I never got Synapse to work on my system, it always crashed so after a few reinstalls i ditched it completely.

I have Nvidia and can say - it’s not always work. Only with compiz or gnome shell i haven’t tearing. For all other system - i have tearing. In KDE i can solve problem with some bash startup script, for other WM i can’t solve it with any solution. In ubuntu mate i use compiz and all works fine.:slight_smile:

Screen tearing is going to be an issue until Wayland (and/or Mir) replace that aging 25 year old X window system.

I look forward to that day. :slight_smile:

That said, software window managers are most likely to cause tearing while hardware accelerated ones (like Compiz) will be much better.

3. I truthfully don’t use Syanspe myself, but it doesn’t seem to crash on my systems. Others have reported it being a DBUS problem.

4. That would be cool. :slight_smile: Unless you mean the lock wallpaper, there’s a possible security flaw why that isn’t an option yet.

Why is compton not implemented by default?

For the same reason that there’s an automatic rollback after X seconds when you enable Compton in MATE Tweak: it’s not guaranteed to work on all machines. Some old systems don’t have decent GPUs to begin with.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: I’ve installed the ubuntu mate 16.10 beta 1