Ubuntu MATE Welcome screen

Hello @zap12344 Welcome to our community :slight_smile:

You are using Ubuntu MATE 15.10. Welcome looks different and have much more polish look in 16.04, manly thanks to @lah7 and maybe few others! It also has a lot more features and informations for new users. It actually looks different in Live cd/usb mode and can help you with info about how to install it on your system.

2 Likes

Thanks for those links Luke, it reminded me that I could install in on my actual system :smile: and also made me realise I don't have right setting for DPi as I would need :mag: to read in Welcome!

Trough that bring me to another small problem, when clicking on links in Software, especially first icon some text is missing now. Other don't have such problem, maybe just a little bit more space between the green icon and text.

Looking at the photo now I really like that it's now written that you are subscribed and which version it is. :thumbsup:

1 Like

It looks like some optimisation will be needed when using the program when things get larger. From your screenshot, I can see it’s between DPI 116 - 122 (Zoom Level 1.3).

You are close, but I use one level smaller (had to check). It’s 113, so according to your list 1.2. Thanks for detailed explanations :thumbsup: Learned something new again. :grinning:

@lah7 Just discovered a small issue.

After clicking either Welcome "Subscribe to Welcome updates", or Software Boutique "Retrieve the latest software listings.", if one doesn't enter a password when asked, after closing the usual warning message (seen below)

though no password was entered, ppa.launchpad.net/git-core/ppa/ubuntu is added to Other Software, and the option to subscribe or retrieve updates disappears until this ppa is removed.

If one has previously clicked subscribe/retrieve, entered a password, but later decided to delete the ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu from Other Software.

Then performs the steps outlined above, the ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome/ubuntu is added again even though no password was entered.

Furthermore, after clicking subscribe/retrieve, then clicking Cancel on the Updating Cache pop-up, the ppa is still added.

I will test this later.

For the future, would it help design/layout if Welcome and Software Boutique were presented as the same size?
Please understand this is in no way a criticism, far from it, just a simple question. :slight_smile:

Greatly appreciate all the hard work that has gone into Welcome/Software Boutique, thank you!

One thought from this afternoon...

Would it help new users understand the relationship between Welcome and Software Boutique if both showed similar Subscribe/Retrieve information, users will then realise both will be updated even if only Subscribe or Retrieve has been activated?

For example.

Or

Slightly shorter alternatives

[quote]Receive Welcome (+ Software Boutique) updates
Receive Software Boutique (+ Welcome) updates[/quote]

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In getting started under Keyboard Shortcuts there is Crtl + X written twice.

Question why there are two Boutiques ... One is Software Boutique and then there is one in the shop section Ubuntu MATE Boutique which may cause confusion and it's also harder for translating.

Suggestion in Keyboard Shortcut, there could be a line that say Super is also known as Windows key, from those coming from other OS.

1 Like

Not really. Welcome shouldn't be a humongous window taking up all the screen space whereas the Boutique itself can benefit from a bit more of a bump in space for applications.

I can see where you're coming from, but it shouldn't matter too much, as there is a button in the top-right (with a tool-tip explaining when hovered) already and then this option at the bottom (when not yet subscribed).

@ele Good catch. I'll remove the repeated CTRL+X line.

Hi @lah7,

Previously mentioned in another thread, but in case missed! :slight_smile:
For Software Boutique, may help others if Blender’s Alternative to: mentioned

• Alternative to: Autodesk 3ds Max / Maya, Adobe© After Effects

Thank you for your time, and all your hard work.

3 Likes

Thanks @DaveB, looks like it was missed. Blender’s alternate to will be updated on the next update. :thumbsup:

1 Like

If I turned off the welcome screen for login, how do I get back to it?

You can manually launch welcome from the default menu:

System -> Welcome

Then check “Open Welcome when I log on”

2 Likes

Does Welcome replace the Software Center with it’s “Software” button or do I need to install Synaptic?

It does not replace it.
The “Boutique” is a voluntarily limited list of common / best in class software.
If you go to the “More Software” section of the Boutique (second last icon on the right) you can install Synaptic and other tools to search more software.

3 Likes

Much thanks for both those answers!