Ubuntu Pro and upgrading Jammy in 2032

Hi. What do you all have to say to me upgrading from jammy in 2032 because Ubuntu Pro covers main and universe packages for those 10 years?10 years of main and universe support

Would seem to be relative to needs. Jammy has support main and universe to 2027, meanwhile in April 2024 new latest LTS will be out with new great and maybe not so great features. Either way MATE end is only 3 years on either one. That's what is great, there are choices. I like LTS as got tired of upgrading interim releases but everyone is different. Basically it seems to be free with terms and if you later decide you can update to new LTS or whatever.
Here is link to older article:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/10/06/ubuntu-pro-free-for-individuals-small-companies/

1 Like

I'll give an example of an issue, alas it won't be using the MATE or GTK stack of a Ubuntu MATE system, but it'll hopefully show my point.

The 10 years you may also find applies to focal or 20.04, but as my specific example of an annoyance impacted focal, I'm using 20.04 too.

A bug existed in Qt5 that caused issues on some screen configurations; I was impacted. It was in time discovered and fixed in a later Qt5 version (used in Ubuntu 20.10 & newer), however as it was not a security flaw, it wasn't backported to the Qt5 used in the LTS version of Qt5, thus never fixed in 20.04.

If you weren't impacted by that bug, you'd not care (issue mainly for users of Qt5 environments like LXQt/Lubuntu which is where it impacted me), alas I was. I knew I had to allow what was potentially hours (a long time anyway) if I carelessly adjusted screen layout (added another screen etc), a thing we may do over the years due to altered desk setup etc.

The fix for me was just not sit on focal/20.04 that long, hey it was fixed in later Qt5 thus was only a quirk in 20.04. It's not a security issue, thus the Pro support on 'universe' packages won't be fixing it either.

My point is not all bugs are security issues, thus bugs may still impact you that won't on later releases.. the issue I'm talking about still exists in 20.04 now, but Ubuntu being a stable release system won't upgrade the core Qt5 toolkit/libraries to a newer version, and the bug wasn't backported its not a security issue.

Technically, any developer could backport the patches themselves, upload and request/SRU a MOTU/etc to sponsor and thus patch this issue.. that can be done for 20.04 until 2025-April anyway when the repositories are expected to be closed, but there aren't the resources to do this, and I can't see it being done; as its not a small job given what's involved. More choices though are a good thing & Pro is another choice!

3 Likes

Hi. I went ahead and subscribed to Pro so that no upgrading is necessary. However, the Livepatch is reported as not working with the version of the kernel present on this machine (see the photo for the pro status command results). Since I run the Software Updater first thing in the morning, the Livepatch not working will not be a problem, right?

2 Likes

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS currently provides livepatch using only the GA kernel stack, though HWE has been promoted as being available when it reaches Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS with the 6.2 kernel if using the HWE kernel stack.

That is known & was documented with the announcement of HWE coming to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS HWE.

That kernel is getting closer, but isn't yet supported

linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04-edge | 6.2.0.25.25~22.04.5   | jammy-proposed   | amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el, s390x
2 Likes