Ubuntu-restricted-extras part of Software Boutique

I would like to see the package ubuntu-restricted-extras in the Software Boutique in addition to the Codec package that is already there. The reason I would like to see this is that the "extras" package is vital to being able to play DVDs. I had this problem below that was solved by adding the package--I THINK people still play DVDs on their computer.

Below is the situation and solution that was necessary:

You're most welcome, Anthony. By the way: I've just tested the playback of a Commercial DVD movie that I own in an old "HP Pavilion dv6" laptop computer that still has a DVD drive, and that is running the recently released Ubuntu MATE 23.04 (Lunar Lobster). When I inserted the DVD disk in the drive, I got a dialog box prompting me to open it in Celluloid, but when I accepted that, I got the same error that you got:

Error

Playback was terminated abnormally. Reason: no audio or video data played.

OK

I got that solved by:

1 - Installing the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" package (maybe not necessary?): sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

2 - Running sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

3 - Running sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

4 - Reboot.

After I have done that, the DVD movie started playing correctly in "Celluloid".

2 Likes

Some DVD are protected, some others are not. When the DVD is encrypted, you need the encription key, which is why you need to install libdvd-pkg. Unencrypted DVD should work flawlessly without the need of libdvdcss (that's how this library has always been named).

2 Likes

Hi, @Anthony_Craig :slight_smile:

I'm glad that my reply to you in another topic solved your problem to play DVDs:

By the way, I've found that there is a related feature in the "Welcome" application in Ubuntu MATE to activate DVD Playback support. The following post by @franksmcb (Bill), posted in 2019, seems to still be applicable to Ubuntu MATE 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish):

Here's a screenshot from that Welcome -> Getting Started -> Updates & Extras screen in my Ubuntu MATE 22.04 installation:

And here is the text content from that same section (for easier search and reference):

Blu-Ray and DVD Playback Support

Installs libraries that enable Blu-ray and DVD playback in VLC. After install you will need to run sudo apt install libdvd-pkg && sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg to enable encrypted DVD playback and you will need to obtain a copy of KEYDB.cfg and save it to ~/.config/aacs/KEYDB.cfg to enable encrypted Blu-ray playback [ Remove button ]

1 Like

Hi. Guess I just started installing software in the Boutique. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

Yeah, skipped the "Getting Started". Just installed additional themes. Thanks for pointing out that miss.

2 Likes