UM 16.04 hangs on loading desktop

This is something that just started, which I have never seen before in 10 years of Linux usage.

The display manager comes up, I enter my password, and the desktop starts to load. A bottom panel appears about 20% from the bottom of the scree, the drive becomes inactive, and it just hangs there, with zero desktop icons.

I have reinstalled FOUR TIMES in the last 7 days, and it has happened over and over. Sometimes a reboot will have it come up normally. However, another reboot, and the same thing has happened. I’m on the second installation of the day.

One more thing. I’m online in a live session, not a fresh installation.
Oh, yes. I’m typing this on a livve session, not an installation.

45 minutes later, I have installed again, updated AND installed nVidia-390, rebooted, and WOW! the desktop came up. I installed amd46-microcode, rebooted and…oh, crap.

WTF is going on here? The USB passed the verification test.
HELP! The PC is in good shape, and has always worked just fine and there have been no changes to the hardware.

The sooner the better on this; I have work I need to do ASAP.

45 minutes after I posted this, I installed again, upgraded, installed nVidia-390, rebooted, and WOW! It came up again. I installed amd64-microcode, rebooted and…oh, crap.

WHAT is going on? The USB passed verification. I have zero idea what is causing it.

I just reinstalled for the bleeding third time. The icons came up, then immediately disappeared. I’m going to cross my fingers and try 17.10.

Wish me LOTS of luck.

I always use the latest am writing this on 18.04 and rarely have issues I think you will be fine

To save some time in the future:

Install Ubuntu (Mate) using "Something else" method :smiley:

Oh, I’ve been using Something Else for around 9 years, as soon as I saw instructions on Ubuntu Forums back in the day when they had hundreds of users online at the same time. I got myself a 3TB drive and mount it as /home.

Every installation I have recently tried, 16.04, 17.10 and 18.04 beta, has had icons come up on the screen and immediately disappear, leaving the menus, or hanging before the window manager fully loads. And it’s not busy, it just stops.

This started with my long since installed 16.04 about 10 days ago, unaccountably. I have no reason that I can think of to suspect my hardware, which runs cool. Googling hasn’t helped much, either. :confused:

This has happened with, it has appeared, the third or fourth reboot on a new installation. Once or twice, another reboot did eliminate the problem. I’m running 18.04 beta again, and, so far, so good. I AM going to suspend the beast rather than depowering. When there’s a kernel update, I’ll cross my fingers and toes.

1 Like