I just ran apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade
and was greeted with this error:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mate-applets : Breaks: mate-netspeed (< 1.13.0) but 1.12.0-1 is to be installed
                Recommends: cpufrequtils but it is not going to be installed
 mate-applets-common : Breaks: mate-netspeed (< 1.13.0) but 1.12.0-1 is to be installed
                       Breaks: mate-netspeed-common (< 1.13.0) but 1.12.0-1 is to be installed

Same problem on both of my PCs, both use the Mate 1.14.1 PPA.

Edit: I just tried the update in a VM running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 but without the PPA and it worked flawlessly.

Try to do it only with dist-upgrade command (without the upgrade one): sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade. If this doesn’t work then try to purge mate-netspeed with sudo apt purge mate-netspeed and try again.

I think the problem is that the command dist-upgrade should remove the mate-netspeed package as is no longer needed, but you execute the command upgrade which gets the error and then the dist-upgrade is never executed (&& executes a command only after successful termination of the previous command).

Sadly neither of which worked. I tried
sudo apt purge mate-netspeed followed by sudo apt dist-upgrade and it worked, yet running sudo apt upgrade afterwards presented the same error as before.

I seem to have the same problem, but when I try to remove the mate-netspeed, it reports it’s not even installed.

I dug around a bit in Synaptic: The conflicting update package is ubuntu-mate-core 1.154.1 from the xenial-updates/universe repository (installed is 1.154+1~xenial1.0).

Someone posted about this on IRC. @Wimpy’s aware of it and new packages are being uploaded to the PPA.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! :grin:

1 Like

Just retried the update and the ubuntu-mate-core package works fine now.
That was very quick, thanks a lot @Wimpy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank the ever vigilant @ouroumov for alerting me to this issue on IRC earlier :slight_smile:

3 Likes