[UM 22.04] Caja behaving erratic after 2 days uptime

Hi All,

After two days uptime , Caja shows one of the following weird behaviours:

1. refuses drag-n-drop , both copy and move
  2. refuses application association on filenames (like, opening a file using the wrong application)

After a killall -SIGTERM caja everything is OK again.
Based on this, I suspect something like a memory-leak but if any of you have another theoretical possibility to offer, please do .

I would like to know if any of you encountered one of these problems or any other weird behaviour after one or more days uptime.

I have a small script ready to catch any errors and memory usage so I have something to offer when I file a bug in a few days.

Any other tips, insights, ideas, are also welcome

@tkn

UM22.04 last time I rebooted 27 Jun 2022 due to update/restart needed to complete. (Think it was 23rd Jun but holding back on installing to check another issue). Always on otherwise and doesn't show issues you mention. Only issue I have seen when working with open windows doing file transfers between the computer and removable drives the screen will dump to a blank, and the reload. Will then have to re-open the windows I had open. Also haven't seen since installing on 04 Apr 2022.

1 Like

Only issue I have seen when working with open windows doing file transfers between the computer and removable drives the screen will dump to a blank, and the reload. Will then have to re-open the windows I had open.

Thanks ! What you saw is Caja crashing and restarting. And this was after several days uptime ?

Don't know as don't track that, but it is always on and basically just restarted when update calls for it. But it has done that since day one (BTW your description is better :grinning: ) Did try other Marco window manager with no change. Some times no issue. Other issue I was tracking was Software updater was pre downloading without permission which seems to have stopped. At one point it pre-downloaded 500mb. Probably a kernel update. Still watching it.

Other issue I was tracking was Software updater was pre downloading without permission

Sounds like this packet, which is responsible for automatic-updates:

unattended-upgrades/jammy,jammy,now 2.8ubuntu1 all [geïnstalleerd,automatisch]
  automatic installation of security upgrades

Don't think so as it was downloading everything. On Jun 03 it showed updates. Canceled. Jun 4&5 showed it downloaded. Canceled once again and on Jun 6 it just showed the new FreeCad Daily download as the others were already installed.
At time I masked the systemctl timers, removed software and unattended upgrades, no effect. Have been tracking check, cancel, check for a week then update. Seems OK now and keep my eye on it. May reverse the masks and take a look. Very adverse to computer doing things on it's own, plus it slows things and affects my data cap. Have one app that update is over 1.2gb.

So the regular updater downloads stuff behind your back without consent and without an easy way to stop that ??
That is IMHO a serious designflaw.

Maybe a good idea to file a bug about it on launchpad and use for the time being one of the commandline updaters.

Oh no. Initially got rid of snaps. Tried Flatpaks but seem to be debs spelled differently sharing system runtimes and updating on their own. Got rid of them and started noticing the pre downloads. They seem to have stopped probably a kernel update but watching carefully. Thanks.

Ah, I see, that is this story: