UM for 32 bits operating system

Hello guys !

Been looking for Ubuntu Mate 32 bits but can't find it in the main site,is not available anymore for 32 bits ?
If is not,can anyone recommend me a new operating system for 32 bits that can use Tor browser and not too heavy for the system ? i did ask in the Heads OS community but didn't get a reply back ... :pensive:

Thanks !

1 Like

The last Ubuntu-MATE for i386 was Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS. Being a flavor it had 3 years of supported life.

Two other flavors of Ubuntu (Lubuntu & Xubuntu) offered a i386 (32-bit x86) release of 18.10, but the building of i386 ISOs was finally stopped in the disco development stage for those two flavors (ie. 19.04), though any installs of Lubuntu 19.04/Xubuntu 19.04 received upgrades for the life of the product if used for an install.

You didn't specifically state which 32-bit architecture you're wanting; as i386 or x86 32-bit is only one 32-bit architecture. Ubuntu MATE 32-bit also provided support for armhf or 32-bit ARM; refer Raspberry Pi | Ubuntu MATE if you're not after a specific i386 32-bit machine.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still supported (standard support ends in April 2023) so a 18.04 install (of i386) will get security fixes for packages from 'main', but that's only a portion of the system.

I'm still a user of i386 or 32-bit x86 hardware (on occasion anyway) and personally I'd recommend Debian (note: I've only used up to Debian 11 on 32-bit x86 or i386 hardware (Debian 12 is actually close to release, but I've felt no desire to test it on i386))

You should specify what 32-bit architecture you're asking about though, as that really matters. 32-bit ARM is still supported !

3 Likes

Hello @guiverc :hugs:

Really dont remember which one i have on my PC,i think is x86 but completely sure it is 32 bits just dont know how to find it in Ubuntu OS if is i386 or x86 but i think is x86 .

1 Like

x86 is i386 if it's 32-bit, and amd64 if it's 64-bit (also called x86_64)

Strictly there are many 32-bit classes for x86; i386 is what Debian calls all of them (Ubuntu follows suit), though the Linux kernel also has 486, 586 & 686 classes of x86 (32-bit).

If your box is x86 it'll be i386 in Debian/Ubuntu terms, but i686 in Linux terms I bet.

ARM 32-bit (strictly armhf) being the other 32-bit alternative; though it's not compatible (except for word size being 32-bits)

FYI: Intel tried to get the marketplace to use IA64 when it moved to 64-bits; alas it was incompatible with older software thus failed in the marketplace. AMD created the backwards compatible x86_64 thus why it's named amd64. Intel only sell amd64 x86 processors now (though they do downplay the official amd64 name somewhat).

4 Likes

Are you sure your CPU is 32 bit? Many computers have 64 bit CPU, but run a 32 bit OS.

Use Debian 32 bit edition. You can find torrent files for the live+installer ISOs of MATE and the other editions here. LXDE is even lighter than MATE.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid/

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply back !!!

My last question is if there is no Ubuntu Mate for 32 bits anymore ? just 64 ...
Am i right ?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply back !!!

1 Like

No, 32 bit Ubuntu MATE has been discontinued since 2018.

But Debian will continue to provide 32 bit version (with MATE and other editions) for quite some time.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help @apandada1 !!!

I will take Debian over LXDE i guess .
Can you provide me the download link for 32 bits x86 USB for Debian ?they dont make things easy for non geeks ...Also,is there a way to delete my profile from here or i just can log out ?

Thanks a lot !!

1 Like

Hi, @Sexybaldguy

Looking at the web page that @apandada1 (Archisman Panigrahi) mentioned - https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid/ - If you scroll down until the end of that page, I would say that the file you need to download from there (for Debian MATE, 32-bit, 11.6 version - which is currently the last point release of Debian 11 a.k.a. "bullseye") is https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid/debian-live-11.6.0-i386-mate.iso.torrent

Do you have any strong reason to want to delete your profile / account that you have here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community" discussion forums (that are "powered" by the "Discourse" software)? If you don't, I would say that you can just log out, yes (by clicking on your profile picture and then, in the context menu that appears, click on the "person" icon - which is the rightmost icon - to show the "Preferences" menu and then click on the "Log Out" option, which is the last option in that menu).

If you really want to delete your "Ubuntu MATE Community" account, the most relevant information that I could find about that was the following reply by @lah7 (Luke Horwell) written in September 2018:

2 Likes