Unable to add programs to Startup Applications

I am unable to add programs to the Startup Applications. I can can add an program to the list, but then I closes Startup Applications they disappear. And do not start the next time I start my computer. The two programs I am trying to add are pidgin and conky. Also I am able to disable programs in the startup list, and they are disable. I have not tried removing a program from the list. I’m worried that I wont be able to put it back. I am not sure why, but I am wondering if it is a permissions problem.
I am running 17.04 64bit It is a clean install except my home folder.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @microsuperman,

Your personal Startup applications are stored in ~/.config/autostart/ so looking there may reveal the problem.

The ~/.config/ directory is hidden. If you’re familiar, you can use Caja. Otherwise this command in a terminal would be useful:

ls -al ~/.config/autostart/

Here is what I see in a 17.04 VM and I did successfully add startup.sh myself:

bill@UM1704-vm:~$ ls -al ~/.config/autostart/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  2 bill bill 4096 Apr 18 22:08 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 bill bill 4096 Apr 18 22:08 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 bill bill  225 Apr 15 09:52 blueman.desktop
-rw-rw-r--  1 bill bill  405 Apr 15 09:52 deja-dup-monitor.desktop
-rw-rw-r--  1 bill bill  312 Apr 15 09:52 mate-optimus.desktop
-rw-rw-r--  1 bill bill  173 Apr 18 22:08 startup.sh.desktop
bill@UM1704-vm:~$ 

What do you see?

1 Like

Bill, thank you for your assistance. I went to ~/.config/autostart/ and found that I do have a pidgin.desktop. Looking into the contents of the file. I found that is had a line saying only to use it for XFCE. Sorry I don’t remember exactly what it said. I suspect that was put there when I was using xubuntu. I deleted the line and now pidgin is now autostarting. Also, I don’t know why, but so is conky. The conky.desktop did not have that line. But after figuring out how to fix the “failed to activate swapfile” and then the swapfile encryption error at boot that was giving me a nearly 2 minute boot time. I am not going to cry about conky magically appearing in the startup list.
Once again thank you for your help.

Great! And thanks for detailing what you found as this may help someone else in the future. If you happen onto the line involved it would be an interesting info addition.