Updated to Mate 20.10 - Desktop layout is messed up

Updated to Mate 20.10 today, Desktop still not working correctly.
I still find no access to programs such as firefox, mail etc.

• excuse the lack of correct terms

At the top bar of DESKTOP (where date, bluetooth etc is found on right), at the left is only the 3 black vertical dots and the word 'Desktop'.

• I cannot access any programs there such as firefox, system monitor etc).
    If I click on word DESKTOP at top, I find FILES, DOCUMENTS, PICTURES etc, but no programs.

Under the top bar is the Firefox lines, which I opened with roundabout way.

• To open programs I have to use Terminal.
    This problem started with Mate 20.04, which is why I updated to see if it would disappear with 20.10.

Any advice? How to get Desktop to work correctly?
Rusty in South Africa

Hi,
If you can't access anything in the menus no matter the desktop layout (try some layouts by opening mate-tweak in a terminal), backup everything you need (including .config files for the software you use) and install 20.10 from scratch.

Ugh, I may have caused my own problem some time ago? Previously I tried tweaking the desktop. On advice, I now went back to Systems Tweak and to PANELS and tried the CONVENCIANAL panel, and it is all sorted out - I can now work again.
This item can be closed now.

2 Likes

this error might have come up because of a change that was implemented in ubuntu mate, since ubuntu mate switched to ayatana indicators. Switching layout and editing is the proper solve since your already existing layout didnt upgrade from old indicators to new ones