Updating 16.04 to 16.10 or 17.04?

I have Mate 16.04 on my laptop now. If I update to 16.10, will I lose anything of my third party software ??

Or, can I update from 16.04 to 17.04 without losing anything that I already have loaded ??

Thanks for advice in advance…
NK

Hi Neil. It’s difficult to give a cast iron assurance on that in the absence of a comprehensive list of all third party software you have installed.

Usually, things work out okay. But not always. For example, when I installed 17.04, I found that Qbittorrent did not work in it. Also, Kompozer still worked but required some extra dependencies over and above those required by 16.04.

As I said, a list of all third party software you have installed would be useful.

[quote=“Neil_Klagge, post:1, topic:13430”]Or, can I update from 16.04 to 17.04 without losing anything that I already have loaded ??[/quote]Unless you have very specific reasons to update to a different version, you may simply want to decide to stick with 16.04.

16.04 is a Long Term Support version. Meaning that for years to come it will continue to receive important updates. 16.10 and 17.04 are both Short Term Support versions, with support for either of them being 9 months (iirc).

Point being, even if you’d install 17.04, you’d only have to update again and again. To 17.10, to keep support and then to 18.04 (another LTS).

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick to 16.04 LTS. It seems to be working fine for me. I did not know that the others were short term support.
Neil

2 Likes

Hi Steve. Thank you for your reply. I was concerned about Teamviewer and two of my Ham Radio programs: FLdigi 3.23.01 , and WSJTX v1.7.0

After finding out that 16.10 and 17.04 are not LTS versions, I think I will stay with 16.04.

Thank you for the support.
Neil

2 Likes

Good call Neil. Best practice is to use a LTS release for any system you rely on. But it doesn’t hurt to use a short term release or Beta test on a extra machine if you have one.

1 Like