Updating Mate Problems

Hi

I have just replaced Raspbian Jesse with Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberi Pi 3, as I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on my main computer and I want to work with something I am familiar with.

I wanted to add some arduino software which requires doing a simple update and then install of the software as follows. I do sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get install arduino.

It comes up with the following error:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

If you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it?

Kind Regards

Ian

Hi sarian90

This usually means that you already have a package manager open. Only one package manager can be opened at a time. or…

Sometimes dpkg will hang up and its necessary to manually remove the lock. In terminal:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Hi @sarian90,

this is usually caused by the update manager running as soon as you start the system, it can take a few minutes for the updater to finish, especially if it is downloading security updates in the background!.

See also:

1 Like

I forgot about that, thanks wolfman :slight_smile:

1 Like

mon plaisir à mon ami :smiley:

Hi

I tried the sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock command and then tried an update but that didn't work.

I received the following errors:

I tried the initial command and then tried to install the arduino software and that went through ok.

So I still appear to have some issue there thats preventing the updating.

Is it possible to stop the update manager from updating initially?

Kind Regards

Ian

Just remove it from the startup Applications I guess.

Hi

As a newbie to this, could you advise me where to find that to remove it?

Kind Regards

Ian

Hi @sarian90,

before you remove anything from startup (Control Centre > Personal > Startup Applications), try changing your software sources download location per the update guide linked above!. :smiley: