Upgrade DDR4 memory

Hello.
My daughter have a old HP laptop with only 4 GB sdram, I want to upgrade it to 16 GB SDRAM and install Ubuntu-Mate on it.

4 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB) is in it today.

Can I install DDR4-2400 MHz SDRAM (2x8 GB)?
or
Can I install DDR4-2666 MHz SDRAM (1x16 GB)?

Cheaper for me to bye a DDR4-2666 MHz SDRAM (1x16 GB), then I can upgrade it with one more 16 GB later if we want.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome back to the community :ubuntu_mate: !

• You can use higher frequency ram in the laptop, it will run at the adequate frequency.
  • Some motherboards have limits when it comes to the max amount of ram they support. You might not be able to run 32GB ram or even 16GB on that laptop.

You should enter your laptop references on Crucial's website to find some ram that will be compatible for sure with your laptop.

1 Like

You say old HP... what is old? 10 years or older? In that case make sure it is capable of upgrading the RAM to 16GB.
I have a old Lenovo T410 which is 11 years old, it should support up to 8GB RAM max, however it wouldn't boot even though i ordered the correct RAM modules.
Though i couldn't use them in the Lenovo, I was lucky and able to put them to use in another laptop.

1 Like

Thanks for answer. I think it is 5 year old. But really slow since it only have 4 GB of ram. It is bought in Thailand, so product name is HP Notebook - 15-ay003tx.

Little info:
Intel® Core™ i7-6500U with Intel® HD Graphics 520 (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)

AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c05165023

I could not find it on Crucial's website.

My HP Spectre 360 work's perfect with Ubuntu-Mate 20.04, so I hope i can upgrade the other HP and give it new life.

Thanks.

I run Ubuntu MATE on the Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with a i5 CPU and 4GB of RAM, using a SSD and don't feel or think it's slow at all, not even with Windows 10 which i tried on it almost two years ago.
However i use only Ubuntu MATE on it now, no more Windows for me personally.

I found RAM and the laptop got a new life, thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That's great, have fun with the laptop. :slight_smile:

1 Like