Upgrade from 16.10 to 17.04 with Luks already installed. Has this been tested?

I manage one 16.10 box and this will the situation when 17.04 is fully released. They don’t have the option staying on the LTS because LibreOffice acts funny on older versions. It has a simple Luks install in case nothing falls into the wrong hands. When I tested the alpha build on my netbook with the Luks option, it failed miserably. Their machine however is indeed 64-bit. Will the upgrade process be simple and (theoretically) with minimal errors? I’m looking for people who have tested this – especially the ones who had Luks pre-installed because I think this would be the confounding issue as it’s not installed on the majority of machines.

Thanks.

I just upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04 and I can not mount my LUKS partition anymore.

I had a power outage and this forced the reboot after the upgrade…

I executed chk_luks_keyslots and my LUKS header looks good but, when I type my password, I see:

“No key available with this passphrase.”

I’m afraid that I just lost ~15 years of files… :-/

Let me know if it works for you! I’m about to downgrade to Ubuntu 16.10 (just a LiveCD session) and give it a try.

1 Like

This is super embarrassing… I was typing (copying and pasting) the damn wrong password for 2 weeks! :joy:

It is working now! You can install Ubuntu 16.04 with some encrypted volume and mount it on 17.04, no problems.

At least, I’ve learned about LUKS Backup!

Something like:

cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup /dev/md5 --header-backup-file /root/md5-luks-header.backup

Also, add more keys on LUKS on different slots! Sometimes, the slot 0 gets corrupted and bye bye your data!

Cheers!
Thiago

Speaking of backups, I really can’t believe you haven’t done one that covers “15 years” worth of work. Are these just extraneous files?

And as for power outages, wouldn’t hurt picking up one of these for 85 quid that gives you enough time to save files and shutdown gracefully. Probably the most underrated consumer electronic device in the entire world’s history. And not just for blackouts, covering for voltage sags in the summer when demand is heavy is an absolute must.