Upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04

Good day everybody.

I just upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 by reinstalling the operating system and keeping my /home partition. Installation went very smooth but upon login there are a couple of minor issues that I hope you can help me resolve.

The installer defaulted to installing nvidia drivers for my graphics card. In the past it never did this by default but when I chose them it would lead in loud fan spinning and second monitor no longer working. Second monitor worked with nvidia drivers but the fans were still spinning loudly even when just on the desktop. I switched to Nouveau drivers and everything works and the fans don't spin as much (although I feel like more than before but that might be a feeling).

A second issue is the clock. On the top bar (I am using the Familiar panel) I used to have one clock. Now I have two. The old one with all the time zones I care about and a new one which seems to be integrated with Evolution. Removing evolution didn't seem to help as it is still here (sudo apt purge evolution).

Are there easy ways to fix this or would you recommend reinstalling and not keeping the /home partition (are the problems caused by old settings files for example?).

Obviously I still backed up everything before reinstalling so reinstalling again should not be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

In 20.04, there are two ways of displaying the clock. More accurately, there are two different clock indicators. Removing the one you don't want from the panel is probably what you need to do rather than trying to remove Evolution. This thread may shed some light on what you may want to do: [20.04 Mate] Add Hidden Extras to Top Panel

1 Like

That solved it. Thanks!