Upgrading from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS

Just did the upgrade using: update-manager -d

Opening programs windows takes about 15 to 42 seconds - when before it was quit crisp and eye blinking. Opening caja took 37 secs the 1st time - subsequent one was quicker. LO took 42 seconds - last try was about 16 secs. It looks like they are searching through a new routing... even when acting on a click within a program there is a lag. Lets see how it goes after a while. It feels like the computer is in shock !! (NOTE: Now about 30-35 mins later swiftness back somewhat. So probably something was using juice in the background after the upgrade. Will add here if worthy)

In the Applications menu: End up with duplicates and some having lost their identification icon.

TBird is now a snap - no option to it otherwise. I need to set-up again all my email and calendar connections anew. A shame. CORRECTION: about 24 mins later TB 'wokeup' in good shape with all the emails and calendar re-established - so my only guess here is that it needed to rebuild the index under the new snap. I had to make a new launcher on the desktop in any case (icon disappeared)

Zoom installed was just 'killed' - need reinstall.

Got quite a few error messages during the upgrade process:

I had to proceed with the partial upgrade
If useful, the 'text' in the 'fwdupd.conf' error was:
--- /etc/fwupd/fwupd.conf 2023-10-12 18:06:51.844836289 -0500
+++ /etc/fwupd/fwupd.conf.dpkg-new 2024-04-05 05:23:30.000000000 -0500
@@ -1,20 +1,2 @@
[fwupd]
-DisabledPlugins=test;test_ble
-OnlyTrusted=true
-AllowEmulation=false
-DisabledPlugins=test;test_ble
-IgnorePower=false
-OnlyTrusted=true
-AllowEmulation=false
-[msr]
-MinimumSmeKernelVersion=5.18.0
-[redfish]
-[thunderbolt]
-MinimumKernelVersion=4.13.0
-DelayedActivation=false
-RetimerOfflineMode=false
-[uefi_capsule]
+# use man 5 fwupd.conf for documentation

Will follow up if identifying other things

W
HP Envy 11th Gen ICore i7-1165G7
Mate 1.26.2

2 Likes

As per the above, I did the upgrade to UM 24.04

Software Boutique and Welcome still appear in the Administration menu and are are active. And the App Center was not added.

So it looks like I was upgraded to 24.04 and Kernel 6.8.... but without the other changes, i.e. all other things remaining equal.

System works fine for now. I may elect for a a fresh install (i.e. reinstall) in a few months - if only to 'clean up' old stuff, since I've been only 'upgrading' on this laptop since I bought it (i.e. for any new version since UM 18.04)

May 5th: I installed App Center through terminal. So I now have Updater, App Center, Software boutique and previous Software...

W

4 Likes

May 6th: Yesterday the Menu (System) standard Updater link, Software boutique and Welcome were still working. This morning after re-boot... they don't.

1 Like