Upgrading from UM 17.04 to 17.10, Oct 19th

Hi guys !
As a newbie, later this week (on the 19th) I’ll go from 17.04 to 17.10. Hoping everything will flow easily and with no hurdle.
So.
My understanding is that to upgrade I need to do this:

1. Update the current 17.04, by using this in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
    I did read somewhere that it is better doing this then use the ‘Software Updater’ (Really?) and to re-boot.
  2. Then, open ‘Software & Updates’, go to the ‘Updates tab’ and make sure that under ‘Notify me of a new Ubuntu version’ it is set to ‘For any new version’.
  3. After that, open the Terminal again, type ‘update-manager -cd’ and press Enter.
    The Update Manager should open and show: ‘New ‘17.10’ release is available’ or something like that. By then, click the ‘Upgrade’ button and follow the instructions.
    And reboot again, I guess.

Anything else any newbie should know ? Any alternative way ? Although the above seems so simple…
Any warning about what ‘may’ go wrong ? Just being proactive here – better ask then be sorry, loose data, dig the web for 3 weeks to finally reinstall from zero…
Since, I guess, this may also help every newbie out there, just looking for the basic info then me.

Thx

I can’t answer this - but I’m looking forward to the answer…

I’m currently using the beta version of 17.10 - do I need to do anything once 17.10 is officially released - or will I just be on 17.10?

@MusicalCoder You don’t need to do anything. You’ll be upgraded from beta to release version automatically. Just keep applying updates.

I think you should wait at least a couple of days if not a week/month before upgrading from one release to another so that early adopters can report any unnoticed bugs that crept in and get fixed.

Also as a newbie you should stick to the updater. Not to fumble with the terminal. It’s good to know your way around the terminal but the updater works just fine.

1 Like