Upgrading Ubuntu from 15.04 to 15.10 leaves system in an inconsistent state

Apparently, the new vesion of flash-kernel does not support the Raspberry Pi. At this point, I’m not sure if the system will even boot if I restart it.

I’m curious - if the upgrade functionality has not been tested for this device, why are the 15.10 repos enabled?

http://i.imgur.com/DxBAWx0

I have tried to upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10 and it has buggered the system. It now is stuck at boot-up on a grey screen. No worries, all my files are stored separately, so it’s just the OS. will do a re-write.

I’ve posted this several times, release upgrading the Pi version simply will not work. The kernel architecture on 15.04 and 15.10 is entirely different.

I’ve gone back to 14.04 LTS. Not because there is anything wrong with 15.04 or 15.10 for 99% of users. But, because I have an unusual combination of things installed on my system which, for the moment, work best in 14.04 LTS. I’ll just sit it out till the next LTS.

I think a bit of it is to do with me getting older, in turn leading to a higher risk averseness and less time to fiddle about under the hood. That is to say, I suspect most of the little niggles I have experienced getting some of my set-up to play nice with 15.04 and 15.10 would be solvable if I was prepared to put in the time and effort to solve them (in particular, QT applications like Qjackctl or Rosegarden). But I am not. I had already moved up to 15.04 and experienced a few problems with my set-up that I managed to solve. But, it did require some compromises on some of the applications I use. This current hiccup I have had with the buggered upgrade to 15.10 has simply given me the excuse to go back to 14.04 LTS.

Got it all re-installed last night and all is well… :smiley: