USB drive mounts failing after 17.1 to 18.04 upgrade

I did an upgrade of my file server from 17.10 to 18.04.1. Now 2 of my USB drives fail to mount in their usual locations in my home dir. The error from gnome-disks includes “message recipient disconnected from bus without replying…” After this UM offers to send reports of system failures. I sent the reports, as usual.

They do mount in user session default locations in /media/username/. So, I tried making symlinks of the old locations. This works locally, but not over the samba network. The symlinks are not visible in caja. Furthermore, the default setting is to mount the drive in a new location every boot! So, I already have /media/username/Music and Music1 and Music2. No doubt after the next reboot it will be at Music3, which means----even if the symlink worked----I would have to make a new symlink after every reboot.

If anyone has a fix for this it would be appreciated. TIA.

I fixed this by manual editing of the fstab file. There were obsolete entries to delete. Then I switched off user session defaults from the gnome-disks UI. After a reboot, the disks were mounted in their customary locations. All is well again.

I hope this helps someone who encounters this problem.