Using Evolution and Gmail's IMAP

This is a follow up to a previous tip In answering a question from @VinceN about a Personal Information Manager [PIM] the email client Evolution was suggested by @Wimpy to solve his question about Google Services Integration.

Being a long time Thunderbird user I decided to explore Evolution:

*Evolution initial setup was similar to TB’s Gmail's setup information was correctly detected
*Password requested 3 times: 1)evolution 2)gmail 3)calendar
*Google Calendar is automatically integrated [assuming you have one] no add ons required
*My perception is Evolution is a bit more responsive
*Filters are easy to create, however applying them to your inbox requires selection of all messages first.

My existing email set up in Google:

*two additional email accounts [yahoo.com & verizon.net] are imported by Gmail
*pre-existing Google Calendar
*extensive filters and blocked emails setup on Gmail
*Gmail filtering Instructions

If you have multiple email addresses Evolution is able to retrieve them, however you might be missing gmail’s
filtering - a huge advantage. If one or more of you email addresses is a few years old logging into web gmail produces some nice filtering options, one of which is to immediately delete.

Using multiple computers with Evolution installed is no problem - once all of your rules and retrieval is set up on the web Evolution will present the same view. Additionally if you need to use someone else’s computer the gmail web interface will have the same organization.

Changing OS versions also provides no challenge or configuration, IMAP takes care of it all

Using an iPhone [sorry no knowledge of Android] realizes benefits - simply configure the email app to use your gmail account. Google’s calendar can also be leveraged.

1 Like

@pfeiffep

Have you noticed any issues with Evolution’s spell check functionality?

Certainly not a direct answer ... I noticed 4 separate English selections available to me

According to the information I have all 4 dictionaries already installed - must be by default

Thus far I've only sent 2 emails using Evolution, but I did notice the inability to highlight a list and automatically apply numbers or asterisks.
Also highlighting a block of text and choosing to indent only indents the first line.

Probably just a learning curve

I’ll have to play with it. I do like Evolution but spell check seems just broken to me. No matter which dictionary I select I get no options when I right click misspelled words. If I manually start spell check it tells me every word is wrong with no suggestions. I might just reinstall, something almost seems corrupted.

I’m having difficulties with the built in calendar … still exploring … overall a somewhat negative view of the calendar thus far

@pfeiffep

What is the calandar doing to you? Evolution is the only program so far that is working correctly for me… :-/

It may be a learning curve but it’s not synchronizing with Google :grimacing:
I have way too much info in Google to play around too much with the Calendar in Evolution.

The email is about the same AFAIK

“I have way too much info in Google…”

I am sure you’re not the only one who could say that.

There is no cloud - only other people’s computers

1 Like