Using packages from debian repository

Is it possible to 'apt-get install' packages from a debian repository into a mate system?

And if it is, what versions of debian packages can be used in what versions of mate?

It's 'apt' not 'apt-get' anymore, so you can leave the 'get' out of it. I don't think it's possible to get packages from a debian repo into a ubuntu MATE system. Why would you want to do that in the first place?
Another thing that comes to mind is that, if possible, mixing packages from one distro with another could cause breakage of apps or the system itself. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The reason would be to use a package that is not available otherwise in mate. But i may have been wrong about the package that i want to use --- it may actually be available in mate. I have to research it more thoroughly.

And thanks for your reply!

It would make things easier for us if you told which package it is.

I goofed.

I thought Mate did not have the package, but now i think it does. The package is for gtkd, which provides access to the GTK widgets in the D programming language. And i was confused last night when i posted, because i believe ubuntu does have such a package, so Mate should too.

I have a machine that i want to put a new (FOSS) OS on, and i'm still researching which one to try.

And thanks for your reply!

There is some naming mess - actually both gtkd and gtk-d packages exits in repositories:

So the source package named gtk-d exists in Ubuntu repository since 18.04 LTS.

For 20.04 LTS its version is:

Source Package:
gtk-d (3.9.0-3build2) [universe]

Also I do not see any binary differences with upstream Debian package.

You have to add some specifics to your request.

apt-get is perfectly acceptable and what I use.

1 Like