http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2852-1/

USN-2852-1: Linux kernel (Raspberry Pi 2) vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-2852-1

19th December, 2015
linux-raspi2 vulnerability

A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:

Ubuntu 15.10

Summary

The system could be made to provide access outside of namespace sandbox.

Can someone please advice how to fix this security on my pi?

Hi,

run a full system update and you will good to go!. :smiley:

Thanks for quick response :).
I tried using

apt-get dist-upgrade

But still uname -a still shows old kernel version.

ubuntu@ubuntu:/boot$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.18.0-25-rpi2 #26-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 5 06:46:34 UTC 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

I am on Ubuntu 15.10

Hi,

try this command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

From my understanding, the kernel for the Raspberry Pi edition of the distro is implemented differently to the desktop editions, so you may not find any updates for the kernel.

If this is the case, I’m afraid you may need to wait for the next released image (may require re-flashing the card, as the distro on the Pi shouldn’t be upgraded across versions, ie. 15.04 → 15.10)

Hi @lah7,

is the update process not the same though?. :smiley:

@wolfman I tried

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

But got same results.

Hi,

I have never used it so you might want to start here and see if there is anything you missed when setting it up?:

As @lah7 pointed out, it behaves differently to a normal Ubuntu install with regards to kernels but I honestly don’t really know!. :confused:

You might find something to help you further here:

Hope it helps!. :smiley:

The commands and processes are the same, but from what I know, updates for the kernel and upgrading the distro is a bit more involved and could potentially break/cause glitches if attempted on the Pi.

Maybe @wimpy could clarify this?

1 Like

Next to the recommendations given above, try the following command to update the RPi 2 firmware:

sudo rpi-update

Normally, it comes preinstalled with the OS, however you can install it following the installation instructions.

@carriba I tried rpi-update command but kernel version is still same.

following is output of uname -a before and after update.

Linux myrpi 4.1.15-v7+ #830 SMP Tue Dec 15 17:02:45 GMT 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
Linux myrpi 4.1.15-v7+ #830 SMP Tue Dec 15 17:02:45 GMT 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

OK, then there’s nothing we can do here for now.

Need to wait until beginning next year when the latest kernel gets built towards the ARM platform and released for GA (unless you want to Compile the Raspberry Pi Kernel or undertake the Kernel Building yourself).