Vanishing cursor

Hi
Can anyone help, when i set my resolution to 2560x1440 and move the cursor to the right hand side of the screen it disappears and does not come back, also the desktop stops responding, I am not able to "alt tab" use the super key, switch desktops etc but videos etc will continue to play. I have to switch to tty2 using CTRL ALT F2 so i can kill xorg or lightdm to make everything work again. When used at the highest resolution 3840x2160 i do not have this problem. Some help would be much appreciated this is driving me bonkers!

1 Like

Hi Nerrad567, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

This problem sounds like NVidia, but I am probably mistaken.

Can you give us the output of:
inxi -GCMm

2 Likes

Hey tkn
Thanks for the help and warm welcome :slight_smile:

the output is:

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z97X-Gaming 5 v: x.x serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: F7
date: 09/18/2015
Memory: RAM: total: 15.49 GiB used: 3.94 GiB (25.4%)
Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 4 EC: None
Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed
Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 size: 8 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s
Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed
Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 size: 8 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s
CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB
Speed: 1102 MHz min/max: 800/4400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1113 2: 1442 3: 1144 4: 1665 5: 1921 6: 4100 7: 1264
8: 1629
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA driver: nvidia v: 470.86
Device-3: NVIDIA driver: nvidia v: 470.86
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: intel,nvidia tty: N/A
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3

Oh boy, two NVidia cards in SLI ? :slight_smile:

Anyway, there are, on and off, exactly these kind of issues with NVidia drivers (cursor garbling, freezes , etc) both in linux and windows that sometimes prop up and since NVidia is very secret about sourcecode and hardwarespecs it is a bit of trial and error what you can do about it.

Most Windows and Linux users change drivers to newer or just older versions to try to solve it.
Some experiment, with varying success, different X11 options:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/390.48/README/xconfigoptions.html

It seems that Option "NoFlip" "On" works for SLI for some people.

I can't do much experimenting for you because I don't have any NVidia GTX cards to play with (although my previous card in my game-rig was a GTX660, I replaced it years ago with an AMD RX570 so I can't be much help here).

I hope that some of the other communitymembers chime in that have some recent hands on experience with NVidia.

( The other option is, ofcourse, the NVidia community.)

2 Likes

No not in SLI, they are mainly used for utility typically the ergo protocol, some occasional computation and the occasional gaming session when i have time. Most days i'm actually using the onboard graphics.

Not surprised it is likely down to Nvidia drivers! Will give the noflip option a try and have a read through the xconfigoptions, thank you.

As a solution I have enabled HiDPI in MATE Tweak instead of Auto and this allows me to use the higher resolution without everything looking rather small.

:smiley:

Cool , let us know how it works out. :grinning:

Oh btw, check this link too: