VBoxClient (seamless): failed to start. Stage: Setting guest IRQ filter mask Error: VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR

I’m trying to use VirtualBox 5.2.8 with a Zesty image obtained from here.

Once I got the image to work in VirtualBox, I quickly realized that I didn’t like how the VM screen was so small so after digging around the internet for a way to make it automatically resize to the VM container window dimensions, I found that the answer was through a VirtualBox option known as “Insert Guest Additions CD image…” So after selecting that option, I saw the little CD icon on the desktop. After accessing it, I ran the “autorun.sh” file to install everything. It seemed to work okay so I rebooted the VM to be sure.

After it rebooted and when I got back to the desktop, I saw the following error window:

VBoxClient: VBoxClient (seamless): failed to start. Stage: Setting guest IRQ filter mask Error: VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR

Oddly enough, the resizing worked but this error pops up everytime I restart the VM.

So, thinking I should fix this, I again did more digging and found that many believed this issue is fixed once you install the three packages below:

• gcc
  • make
  • perl

Apparently, that worked for a different version of VM because once I tried to do this, apt-get made it sound like it couldn’t find an installation candidate for both gcc and make. It never mentioned anything about perl nor did it indicate that perl installed at all, so I guess we’ll just leave that up in the air for now…

Long story short, what’s with the VBoxClient error and how do I fix this for my version of Ubuntu Mate?

HI @Wolf_22,

I would remove the lot (VBox) and then use Synaptic to install all the packages I need, that should make sure you have all you need?:

Or, there is also Virtual Machine Manager as an alternative:

Wolfman -

Bear with me here but I’m a little confused. Your first comment about removing the lot makes it sound as if you’re thinking that my host machine is a Linux system… Do I have that right? Because my host is actually a Windows 7 system, hence my use of a Windows-usable VM app like Virtualbox. Maybe I misunderstood you? If so, my apologies.

If I need to, I can easily blow away my current VM and start over because it’s beginning to sound as if you guys will suggest that I use a different approach to install and enable the Guest Utilities vs. the approach I already tried to take. Given I can’t recall which packages I may have introduced with that approach, I’m okay with starting over if necessary… But which package(s) should I be able to download and install? I would only require whatever would provide me with the basic re-sizing functionality I’m trying to have here (where the VM window automatically resizes to the space that the containing host window provides).

Thanks.

Hi @Wolf_22,

I didn’t read from your first post that you were using W7 sorry!.

There are plenty of tips on the web about doing it, I thought you were trying to run another version of Ubuntu/Linux on Ubuntu Mate?.

A couple of places to start for you:

I hope it helps!. :smiley:

No worries–I could’ve / should’ve been clearer about what I was doing / what was being used.

But for whatever it’s worth, running / using MATE inside Virtualbox isn’t the issue–I’ve done that using a good image, so no problems there. I’m just trying to take advantage of the screen real estate inside the Virtualbox VM window itself, which is actually working, too, after my “Guest Additions” installation–whenever I minimize or maximize, it all resizes as expected. The issue is that every time I restart the VM, I get that error noted above about “VBoxClient, etc.”

Anyway, I’ll keep looking into this and if I find a solution, I’ll post back on here what it was. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

1 Like

I’ve found that this occurs inside Linux guests due to conflicts between the LinGuest having its own VirtualBox guest-addition components. When VB comes out with a new version, typically the guest-additions needed to be updated. The LinGuest OS (OpenSuse, …) likely update their VB versions, but are out-of-sync with VB you may use or select.

I used YAST (opensuse) to find virtualbox installed components and found:
virtualbox-guest-kmp-default Guest kernal modules for VirtualBox

Once I delete this from the installed S/W, the VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR goes away.

Unfortunately, when the LinGuest OS-opensuse updates their virtualbox settings, this S/W package gets updated/reinstalled again/too, so the issue is Linux-OS updates re-installing the S/W I don’t want.

Hope this helps.