Videos not playable

Since a few days I can't play videos, system wide.

I am running this help: So installieren Sie alle Multimedia-Codecs unter Ubuntu Linux | CodePre.com

Then the videos work again for a short time, but then not again.

How can I fix this error?

Hello greenster

Have you tried using "vlc"? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, VLC plays videos, but no videos are played in several browsers.

Hi Greenster,

If you can't watch youtube, it is definitely not a 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' problem.

If you disable video hardware acceleration in your browser settings and it is still not working then we really need more info.

To get some extra info, run the following commands and paste the results here, we might need more later on:

inxi -CGz
snap list
dpkg --get-selections {*firefox*,*brave*,*chromium*,*opera*}
cat /etc/*release

The info we get from the aforementioned commands could at least give us some insight in what kind of install we are looking at.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help. But strangely enough, it currently works to watch YouTube and other videos. If the error occurs again, then I will implement your suggestions. I use Vivaldi browser as default, but also Firefox and Chromium for testing.

The error occurs again.

CPU:
  Info: quad core model: AMD A12-9800E RADEON R7 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
    bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1390 min/max: 800/3100 cores: 1: 1386 2: 1398 3: 1393
    4: 1386
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD CARRIZO (LLVM 13.0.1 DRM 3.42 5.15.0-39-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.1
Name                       Version                     Revision  Tracking         Herausgeber       Hinweise
bare                       1.0                         5         latest/stable    canonicalâś“        base
canonical-livepatch        10.2.3                      146       latest/stable    canonicalâś“        -
chromium                   102.0.5005.115              2011      latest/stable    canonicalâś“        -
core                       16-2.56                     13308     latest/stable    canonicalâś“        core
core18                     20220428                    2409      latest/stable    canonicalâś“        base
core20                     20220527                    1518      latest/stable    canonicalâś“        base
curl                       7.83.1                      991       latest/stable    woutervb          -
emote                      3.0.3                       19        latest/stable    tom-james-watson  -
gnome-3-28-1804            3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67  161       latest/stable    canonicalâś“        -
gnome-3-38-2004            0+git.09fbd6c               106       latest/stable/…  canonical✓        -
gtk-common-themes          0.1-79-ga83e90c             1534      latest/stable/…  canonical✓        -
snapd                      2.56                        16010     latest/stable    canonicalâś“        snapd
snapd-desktop-integration  0.1                         14        latest/stable/…  canonical✓        -
software-boutique          0+git.0fdcecc               57        latest/stable/…  flexiondotorg     classic
ubuntu-mate-welcome        22.04.0-5b7bef38            709       latest/stable/…  flexiondotorg     classic
firefox						install
dpkg: Kein Paket gefunden, das auf *brave* passt
chromium-browser				install
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra			install
dpkg: Kein Paket gefunden, das auf *opera* passt
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jammy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 22.04 LTS"
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy

Hi greenster :slight_smile:

I've more or less simulated your setup on an old laptop.
The first time I started Firefox (snap) and visited youtube, it refused to connect to youtube and displayed a certificate error, hence I couldn't connect and I couldn't watch video.
Exactly the same happened to chromium.
Some time later it just worked.

With the small amount of info that I have I suspect that this is a certificate- or https handshake error where I presume that the communication with the certificate-issuing party times out or something comparable. So I have some questions:

1. If it happens again with youtube, could you try to see if Odysee has the same problem ?

2. If youtube refuses to play on your browsers
    Could you try to let your browsers play a locally stored video instead of an online one ?
    (only use WEBM videos or , if you dont have locally stored WEBM, a youtube compatible format like MP4 containing AVC + AAC )
    It would confirm the suspicion that the problem is network related.

3. Has your internetspeed been fluctuating more than ever recently ?

4. Has there been any machines digging in the streets in your neighbourhood ?

5. Is there any specific day ( or time ) that your videoplay stops/starts working (rush hour)?

6. Have you visited any more sites lately that gave a certificate error ?

I have a stable Internet line:

Only VLC plays videos offline.

Odysee is like youtube but a lot less demanding with respect to javascript, beacons, XHR etc etc. So if something doesn't work with Odysee it will probably work nowhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

Odysee also does not play videos.

Is it possible that my graphics card has a problem?

Okay, so your browsers don't play any online videos but also no offline videos.
VLC (and probably other mediaplayers too) play without problem.

Since the mediaplayers play video, your standard codecs are provably working and so is the rendering path to your video output. (so it is not a graphics card problem)

Browsers need codecs as prepackaged browser-addons (almost always prepackaged with the browser). I am afraid that I'm no expert on that. Sorry.

Last resort:
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-addons

If that doesn't work, I'm out of solutions, I give up. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

"sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-addons" was already installed, but thanks for your help.

I enabled pre-release updates and after that there was a big update and now the videos in the browser play again :sunglasses:

1 Like

dance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon