Virtualbox Sluggish? A Possible Quick Fix

Maybe I'm the last one on the planet to discover this horrible default setting in VirtualBox but the difference is so awesome I have to tell the world.

MAKE SURE THIS IS CHECKED! If you find it default unchecked, you'll be amazed. :slight_smile:

EDIT: As pointed out, you do need memory to get this advantage. In my case, I had the memory (16GB) but still bad performance. Your mileage may vary.

5 Likes

Very nice, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

:point_up: If you’ve got the RAM to spare.

My work laptop only has 8 GB which gets used up pretty quickly – having this checked in the past meant more swapping, as there isn’t enough “free memory” to cache the virtual disk as well.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding if the guest vm has low ram then this can increase performance. But a guest with sufficient ram you can set yourself up for double caching between the host and the guest. So what’s that magic number for the amount of ram?

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html#iocaching

2 Likes

My VB XP always ran much faster than VB WIN7. XP had I/O enabled, Win7 did not. Now they are both fast. Thanks.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it, @jaybo! I had exactly the same experience with XP vs Win7.

@anon42388993, If my guests were caching it was really really bad. :confused: Thanks for the read - there’s more to it than 1 setting for sure.

@lah7, I’ll add that caveat - you need memory or VMs will always be a balance when memory is low.

3 Likes

I get a “file not found” error for the image, could you repost?

Thanks

Joe

1 Like

Without the image, kind of a tough post to understand.

1 Like

Hmmmm… it used to be there. Not sure what happened to it (the link was a 404) but it was easy to replace - good catch, thanks!

@lah7, I haven’t heard other old graphics disappearing (first post here - edit has the old link). As long as it’s not a trend, I guess.

1 Like