Visually impaired considering Ubuntu Mate

Im considering Ubuntu Mate, but i have a few questions. Currently i use compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins in Ubuntu, but sounds like CCSM is being dropped from 18.04 so im looking for an escape. Im considering Ubuntu Mate since im tired of Ubuntu keeping doing changes… When we get used to one DE they switch… Its annoying… Ive also heard that theres some developers here that really does a lot for visually impared?..

The functions i need is Zoom and inverting colors… i know i can use xcalib, but this dosent work currently in Ubuntu due to an update on the xserver i belive… How does these 2 things work in Ubuntu Mate and how about speech? Im from Denmark so i would prefer it to be a danish speech and in Ubuntu i cant get espeakup or others to change to danish… its robotic and more american… So maby someone can tell me about this?

Im sorry if this topic has been, but its much easier to ask once again and its also to get up2date answers…
Does Mate have a high contrast theme? General white background and black foreground…

I’m not very knowledgeable on this specific topic, but I just looked, and there is a high-contrast theme included, at least in Ubuntu MATE 17.10. (I assume earlier versions have it too.)

Hi @kescba, This is a bit alarming as Unity was a compiz plugin so the compiz future is surely questionable. I quite agree how the Zoom has no equal though it’s more a feature I’ve grown accustomed than an absolute necessity.

Ubuntu-MATE has always had a rather decent compiz component with CCSM a major part.

@Wimpy? @lah7? Is Ubuntu-MATE’s close integration with compiz in jeopardy in 18.04?

Sorry I’m not up on speech capabilities.

Compiz 0.9 is going to be maintained until at least 2021.

1 Like

[quote=“Wimpy, post:4, topic:15281, full:true”]
Compiz 0.9 is going to be maintained until at least 2021.
[/quote]2021 would be EOL of Ubuntu/Unity 16.04 LTS. That doesn’t mean 18.04 will have it natively in the repo - or does it? Exclusive for Ubuntu-MATE?

See the difference? Thanks, @Wimpy. :slight_smile:

Compiz will remain in the archive. There are several people maintaining it, including myself.

2 Likes

[quote=“kescba, post:1, topic:15281”]
Currently i use compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins in Ubuntu, but sounds like CCSM is being dropped from 18.04 so im looking for an escape.
[/quote]@kescba, I hope you saw the good news from @Wimpy. Compiz will be around in 18.04 and CCSM is an integral part of compiz.

Sounds great! May i ask how you do maintain it and if can i then tell you about bugs and maby you can fix them? Its a pain in the A*S that CCSM is either the only or one of very few useful tools for visually impared users…