VM 16.04 warning upgrading fonts-noto-cjk

Continuing the discussion from Software Updater vs. Synaptic:

I don’t see much on this so perhaps it’s only a VirtualBox VM issue. The reason it’s related to this topic is the upgraded package involved is found in Synaptic but not Software Updater as I write this.

The package name is fonts-noto-cjk. When upgrading, the terminal output says it’s unpacking the new version over the old version when everything goes nutso. Top shows over a dozen running desktop apps all sucking max CPU and, eventually, the desktop crashes to black. I have 2 16.04 VMs and both behave identically.

Anyone else see this? I might try a live USB boot of 16.04 to see what it does there.

UPDATE: I booted 16.04 live from USB, installed synaptic, ignored dozens of other updates and upgraded JUST this package with no ill affects. So this may very well be a VirtualBox thing. My system is VBox 4.3.38 on UM14.04.

I do not use this package, but upgraded it in a virtualbox 16o4 install without issue.

I am using virtualbox 5.xx

Version 1:1.004+repack2-1 (noto)

Hi @anon42388993. Interesting. The obvious difference is VBox 5 vs 4.

My 2 VMs differ by the guest additions from the UM1604 repo (version 5) and the built-in CD (version 4). Both work with different graphic subtleties yet both violently don’t like this upgrade.

Also, my VBox 4 is the non-free from download.virtualbox.org for trusty.

All in case anyone else runs into it. Or am I the only one in the world running this combo? :slight_smile:

You could install vBox5 from their site along with the Extension Pack. Purge your current vBox install, then do a search for vBox leftovers (you can leave the PNGs), be careful not to delete your VirtualBox VMs in your home directory (or where ever you keep your VMs). This has worked for me in the past.

Hehe… such good advice it’s already done :slight_smile: but I just did a straight install using the vb repository so Synaptic removed VB4. All settings were kept (like my VM locations on a 2nd big HD). I may purge the config just to be safe but it was rather seemless.

Yep, the issue is gone and DM runs high res now! It always seems to be marginal graphics with vbox. Everything seems snappier on VB5.

1 Like

Hehe, good show. Don’t forget to check your solution.