Wallpaper changer

In a lot of Linux Distros, also some kinux versions with cinnamon, a wallpaper changer is included.
Currently to be able to automatically change wallpapers, I use the app Variety on Linux Mate 17.10.
Is it not a great idea to have that option available without using an external app ?
Greetings, Paul

@jpberes that is interesting.

my only question is:-

Where is the bug/issue to change the Appearance Preferences to include a way to automatically switch what @Wimpy calls Backgrounds ?

To this day, I fail to grasp why that aspect is not called ‘wallpapers’ ?

perhaps the Lead developer’ might know - to help us.

If both of you feel that the inclusion of automatic wallpaper changing in the background settings is an important feature well suited to Ubuntu MATE’s focus on user friendliness for newcomers to Linux and a formal feature request hasn’t yet been made, it’s a good idea to submit one.

I’m relatively new too but sorta resigned to the fact that Linux can be fiddly at times so when there turns out to be a way to accomplish something without tickboxes and the like, then no worries.

P.s. - I believe those terms are synonymous and interchangeable

You can find Variety in the Software Boutique that does precisely this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know you can find, it was only an idea, a suggestion …
Some Desktop Environments, such as XFCE and Cinnamon have this standard included :wink:
But of course, the app such as Variety or Wallch can be found and installed :wink:

I am of the mentality of: Give me what I need, even if I am not yet aware that I need it, but don’t install stuff that is not needed. Yes, let me know where to find it if I do want it, but then let me decide when and if to install it myself.

Personally, I find ‘Variety’ to be really, quite bloated for a simple wallpaper-in-your-pictures-folder changer.

The support is okay. I’ll leave that bit there.

My concerns are somewhat mis-aligned to your own @Wimpy
as I mainly use Ubuntu Mate as an on-the-go netbook setup (amongst others), not a full-blown rig.

With HDD space at a premium in this case, I feel that this needs a fresh perspective,
and project brief,
for, say, just getting all the older ubuntu wallpapers off a usb, into a separate folder on HDD,
and cycling through wallpaper-images,
on the desktop-background and Lock-screen.

Basically either a separate program or just cracking on with improved background-settings is what’s concerned here.

Just To Repeat: This lower-confined set of requirements (that is, operating on 7 inch screens aswell as the-average 13 or 15" displays) is something that would be highly beneficial for those with less fancy hardware.

'Would be honored to progress this, to equip lower end users in such places where netbooks are regarded as a good work-horse; either by balsamic or pencil, although I believe the addition of such a ‘feature’ contained within background settings would also suffice to this end.

DAE feel this is an improvement the would not over-complicate things in background settings (?), as I feel it would be a bonus, worth achieving, in my mind.

So, kinda mucked up what I wanted to say there. However, this comes from the primal-crossplatform instict of most-users usually wanting to change/customize wallpapers, at the very start - once installation is completed, and that initial search to change the background is something that I see ad-infinitum in ubuntu-mate youtube videos, for example.

It’s literally the first thing that ‘hits the mouse’ as a way to make changes after ubiquity has finished it’s work,

and is the best reason to get it right from the get-go.

[ apologies if what I wrote was slightly too long for the usual message, but the final bit summed up my thoughts well. ]

What do you consider as the next course of action? more balsamic?