Warning to dual-booters: reports that Windows 10 aniversary update is killing Linux partitions

See here:

5 Likes

I had the opportunity to test this today on a system with a single HD containing both Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
The anniversary update was installed using the Windows 10 Update tool, as it was not yet available via Windows Update for that machine.
Several hours and at least four reboots later the update was complete with both GRUB and all Linux partitions still alive and well.

2 Likes

Hi @ouroumov,

I have Win10 on my two PC’S and have not had any problems thus far, both Win10 installs (according to the update tool) are fully up-to-date!. :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads-up btw!. :smiley:

1 Like

My laptop was completly useless after following windows 10 update. Did everything to recover mbs etc. Finally rebuilt system from original disk. Now have two new partitions w10 and Mate

1 Like

Hi Harry,

depending on how much damage the Win10 updater causes to the Linux partitions, it may be possible to save data if people follow this advice by using the “Something Else” method (this isn’t directed just at you Harry but is intended to help everyone reading this thread!):

@ouroumov, I forgot to mention earlier that neither of my PC’s have UEFI on them!, maybe it only affects UEFI PC’s?. :confused:

1 Like

Definitely possible - the PC I tested this with also does not have UEFI, it’s an old Core2Duo PC with Phoenix BIOS.

1 Like

Hi @maximuscore, @wolfman

Just to clarify here: I don’t dual boot and I don’t have direct feedback from people I know on this issue either.

I posted about this because reading the article and the comments on slashdot, it appeared to me that there was a very real risk of data loss.

Since I know some of our community members dual boot, I thought it was important to post a warning.

Basically, this “update” is more an “OS Upgrade”, people should think about this like upgrading to Windows 11 instead of Windows 10.1 and take the usual precautions that come with such an operation (back up their files).

2 Likes

Windows is no longer what it was, very nice, everyone uses it without thinking what you will offer in return, XP or Windows 7 better than Windows 10.

1 Like

HI @ouroumov,

thanks for the info even though you don’t have Win10, it is very helpful to others on this forum and is useful to know!. :thumbsup:

@Josele13,

please don’t drift too much off topic, this thread is about Win10 updates ruining Linux partitions and not MS spyware; thanks!. :smiley:

3 Likes

I saw this warning as an article on OMG Ubuntu! too:

The comments section is still fresh with people’s experiences.

3 Likes

you’re absolutely right, we speak of Windows 10, but I’ve taken another subject without thinking twice, thanks for the correction Wolfman,

each item is individual, :+1:

regards…

1 Like

Hi all,

I have just read an article on a German site that states that there is an update tool for the anniversary version which I actually haven’t used or tried, I may give it a bash later and let you know how I get on!. :smiley:

Hi @Josele13, not a problem, I am guilty of hijacking threads myself, it is so easy to do!. :smiley:

1 Like

Get Windows 10 updater here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

I DO NOT HAVE AN UEFI PC BUT IT IS WORKING FINE ON THE ONE PC THAT I INSTALLED IT ON; NO PROBLEM!. :smiley:

I have not lost any Linux partitions at all!. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

On my 2nd PC (HP Compaq midi tower) I had to restore MBR first otherwise it wouldn’t install and then use “Boot repair” to recover GRUB afterwards running the update. I also had to use the “Media Creation Tool” rather than the update installer linked above!:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

And again; I have not lost any Linux partitions !. :smiley: