Weather applets inop

I’ve got a desktop backround left after running that command…This machine is terminal only now…reinstalling same files didn’t revert it to it’s previous (semi-broken) state

Ouch, thats kinda what it i was afraid of. Sorry that happened to you but i appreciate the heads up @psfal

@mauimate

Ouch! No, no. That is not safe. Don’t do it!

Sheesh! When I advised you that I didn’t think of checking it myself. It would have never crossed my mind those type of dependencies. Some of those are actually ok. mate-desktop-environment-core and ubuntu-mate-core are safe to remove meta-packages. But the rest no.

What a complete nonsense! I’m even feeling slightly ashamed I’m seeing that. Those dependencies are ridiculous!.. It’s a bloody weather applet! I’m feeling ashamed of using MATE today.

@psfal
I can’t express how sorry I am I forced you into this :frowning:

1 Like

Nobody forced me to do anything…I took a risk and it didn’t play out well…no sweat, I’ve had worse set-backs

Any suggestions from this point though? Or am I looking at a reinstall

1 Like

Yes. You can just reinstall the removed packages. Check the list provided by @mauimate. Hopefully that will restore everything back to normal.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try, thanks

I’ve got GUI back, I can live with this until the fix comes. Thanks :slight_smile:

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu Mate 16.04 to Mate Xenial. I followed
instructions from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/xenial-mate

Everything was fine but my clock applet now crashes like:

===
/usr/lib/mate-panel/clock-applet

(clock-applet:9436): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using
GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I googled without success. I really do not know what to do. Please help

Looks like a bug:

from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/xenial-mate:

===
… The version of MATE 1.14 in this PPA is built against GTK2+ …

however:

===
$ ldd libmateweather.so.1.6.9 | grep gtk
libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0 (0x00007f0515a6d000)

I am not completely sure but possible solution (until they make a new version) could be to replace the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1.6.9 with file from the previous version (1.14.1-1~xenial1.1). This version is built against GTK2+ and works. I know this because I have another machine where Mate Xenial was installed several days ago.

I tried this also (before you postet this).

After deinstalled libmateweather1 and libmateweather-common i wasn’t able to log in.

So i startet Linux in Recovery mode (pressing ESC while Ubuntu MATE start)
Then:

• activate network
  • start a root terminal
  • make drive writable with command mount -o remount,rw /
  • install libmateweather1 and libmateweather-common (with apt-get install xyz)
  • install ubuntu-mate-desktop
  • reboot

Ready. Now i was able to log in again.

(This german article from ubuntuusers.de helped me at this steps)

Same problem here, with the same output from terminal when I run /usr/lib/mate-panel/clock-applet.

Sorry guys, I screwed up :frowning:

I’ve just upload a correct build of libmateweather to the xenial-mate PPA, once it is build and you update, it will work. Very sorry for the screw up. I mixed GTK3 and GTK2 toolkits by mistake.

9 Likes

Hi Wimpy
Just updated with synaptic and everything works nice.

Thank you for the quick fix.
Bye

Hello Wimpy,

nobody is perfect :slight_smile:
It’s working again.
Thank you!

I´m so glad…I can look at it all day!
Works like a charm!
Thank you!:joy:

The only people that never make mistakes are people that never try…thanks for the fix, the fix for the fix, and the fast response :smile:

1 Like

Good it’s solved now :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Wimpy, post:92, topic:8435”]
Sorry guys, I screwed up
[/quote] And 100% took ownership and in an extremely quick fashion supplied the remedy.
Contrast this with 'commercial software’

###Go team @Wimpy

3 Likes

Unfortunately today as I booted my laptop I couldn’t find the clock and date icons and it’s impossible to add them on the top panel. I’ m running 16.04 lts with MATE 1.14.1 . Any thoughts?

I’m sorry guys after the latest update everything is working fine. Thanks Wimpy!:joy:

Temperature now working in 16.10 :slight_smile:

Edit:
When first installed I had a weather forecast, now its no longer available :confused:

1 Like