Web Browser Not Working (can't type into address bar)

I have ubuntu mate 20.04. I install several web browsers (firefox, chromium, brave). Unfortunately only firefox works. Others don't work. I can't type into address bar. Can somebody tell me, what should i do to correct the problems.
Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome @eddy_samsoleh to the community!

Welcome to the community, @eddy_samsoleh!

Hmmm... This is an awfully vague report, so I'm going to have to ask a lot more questions about the situation.

Is the address bar even visible at all, or is it totally hidden as well? If the address bar is hidden, make sure you're not in fullscreen mode (press F11 to switch to fullscreen mode, or out of fullscreen mode if you're already in fullscreen mode). I read that Chromium doesn't show the address bar in fullscreen mode, and since Brave is a Chromium-based browser, I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same behavior.

If the browser is not in fullscreen mode, try pressing Ctrl-L to focus the address bar. I haven't used Chromium for well over a year now, so I forget if that still works, but I'm positive it works in most Web browsers (Firefox included, though that is not relevant here).

If that doesn't work, try launching Chromium from a terminal window. Open a terminal window (click the menu on the top panel, then search for Terminal or MATE Terminal). When the terminal window pops up, type the following into the window, then press the Enter key:

chromium

When Chromium pops up, minimize the Chromium window, and look back at the terminal window. If any messages appear in the terminal window (besides the chromium that you typed in, or the "shell prompt" that looks something like this: [username]@[X]: ~$ ), highlight the message text in the terminal window, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it in a post here. Then, before you submit your post, highlight the text you just pasted in the post editor, and click the button right above the post editor that looks like this: </>. (That last step formats the messages as program code, so that all spaces and other characters are preserved exactly as-is. Sometimes, the clue to a problem is in the one extra whitespace in an error message!)

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes