Weird clear bar across screen when scrolling

Ubuntu Mate 16.04
Lenovo t460s

When scrolling in both firefox and chrome, as well as scrolling in games, there's a weird clear distortion bar across the middle of the lower half of the screen. Does it both on laptop screen and when plugged into an external monitor. Restarting doesn't fix. I feel like a bug hunter, this is kinda fun!

I rotated the photo so you could better see the bar across the screen. It only becomes visible when scrolling.

The problem you have is called screen tearing. I just installed Ubuntu Mate this week and had this problem also. I found an explanation here.

For my part the solution found here solved the problem for me, because I have a recent Nvidia graphics card. I saw also other solutions also on the net that involved playing with the configuration of the window manager.

Hope this helps you.

2 Likes

Another possibility

You can also try compton compositing manager or switch your window manager to compiz. Both can also fix tearing and are located in Mate-Tweak tool.

4 Likes

I changed the window manager to compton and it’s greatly improved. Pretty much resolved the issue for me thank you guys!

1 Like

Thank you!

This resolved some tearing issues I had with Chrome. :slight_smile: