What happened to Sound Switcher headphone option?

Sound Switcher was recently updated in my system. Now I don’t have headphones as an option for outputs. I can still choose headphones through the Ubuntu MATE sound panel, but having to do that defeats the purpose of having Sound Switcher. What happened?

Wath do you mean by sound switcher ? Can you find the package name in software center ?

indicator-sound-switcher?

@anon42388993, Yes, that’s what I’m referring to.

@IvCHo, It’s a PPA. So, I don’t think that it’s in software center.

And now that I’m typing that, I’m realizing that I should probably be asking the person who created the PPA. Although, if anyone here has any insight about what’s going on, that information is more than welcome.

Looks like the recent updates to the ppa do not agree with your system.

Use the terminal to open it, you should get some errors.

Code:

indicator-sound-switcher

When I use the terminal to open it, nothing happens other than the program opens. In the terminal there’s just a blinking cursor. There aren’t any errors, but it’s not doing anything either. If I close the terminal, it closes sound switcher. For all intents and purposes, sound switcher appears to be working, which is probably the reason that I’m not getting errors. However, the option to switch over to headphones using sound switcher is gone.

I installed the ppa and its doing the same thing here.

On the off chance the updated version is no longer compatible with Mate16.04, I installed the Percise12.04 version and its doing the same thing. I think its time to ask the maintainer about this.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turn the sound-switcher off if it is on.

Remove and purge sound-switcher with the following commands.

sudo apt-get remove indicator-sound-switcher

sudo apt-get purge indicator-sound-switcher

Then download and install the previous deb that worked from here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/yktooo/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/i/indicator-sound-switcher/indicator-sound-switcher_1.2.2ubuntu0-gtk3ppa0-1_all.deb

Then run this command immediately

sudo apt-mark hold indicator-sound-switcher

I have just tested this version and it is working with headphones and hdmi

From now on, this app will not update/upgrade to the newer, problematic version

3 Likes

Thanks, @stevecook172001. That worked. :grinning: