What is an emblem?

Except in Mate there’s no dragging and dropping emblems, and there’s no editor.

You can do from the side pane, click the little black arrow, click on emblems

These are the same symbols you see here (Edit -> background and emblems)

From here you can add new emblems.
Edit:
Look at this too
http://thefrugalcomputerguy.com/linux/fromXPtoLinux/fromXPtoLinux8.php

Never even knew that was there. Thanks.

That series of tutorials on the desktop Mate (no matter Ubuntu or MInt) is very well done and I would recommend you to take a look.
Although I was using Mate for a while, I did not even know them, with these tutorials I learned a lot of tricks.

1 Like

Thanks.

After doing some reading of the tutorial, I learned that I can add an emblem for root owned files.

But I can not for files owned by me ?

Sure you can!
Just drag the emblem onto the filename or folder name.

You must have a different version than mine.

I have checkboxes which I can not check.

You are trying to apply emblems to a file. Emblems are specifically meant to be used to differentiate between folders.

Update : I’m going to hold my hand up here and say I may well be wrong in the sense that you can and should be able to apply emblems to files too. (Historically they’ve been used more for folders). If you’re unable to tick the checkbox I would look at what you’re applying the emblem to and whether a) you have permissions to write to that file, or b) that file is on an external device or medium that is read-only.

O.k.

Folders is also same as directories ?

Folders is also same as directories ?

Yes.

Thanks a lot for ur help.

1 Like

In my Ubuntu Mate 16.04 I can put emblems on both the files and the folders.
I can do this by dragging it from the side panel or by checking in properties.

Thanks.

It’s not a big deal.

Generally, a directory will refer to all of the contents within a folder. A folder is the actual container.

I come from a Windows background.

I’ve tried to bring some clarity to it in this post:

Okay, so to explain the concept further to you, without using diagrams, an example of a directory from your Windows background could be ;

C:\Users\Fixit7\Documents…

where that path contains other files and folders.

An example of a folder might be ;

“C:\Users\Fixit7\Documents\Work”

where “Work” is a specific folder that contains content. The reason why there’s a difference is because that folder doesn’t actually have to point to your local PC, it might be a resource on another computer completely. Control Panel is another example of a folder that references items that aren’t specific to a location.

So while Folders and Directories are often used interchangeably, there is a difference :slight_smile:
Keep on learning :slight_smile: There’s something new out there every day!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

It is fun learning new things.

Thanks,
I also thought they were synonymous.

1 Like

No, the pedant in me wants to slap you right now. That’s Cinnamon.

Mint also makes a variant of their system using the MATE desktop and aside from folder colours being better integrated in the context menu there’s nothing terribly different about Mint’s implementation of Caja beyond the superficial.