What is your strategy on Suspend/Hibernate?

Hello everyone,

I feel lke i’m having issue with the suspend option, last night I closed my laptop and it suspended successfully but when i open it 8 hours later, I lost 10% of the battery which is quite a lot :confused:
So i’m asking myself what strategy should I use when I lid close my laptop. Should I hibernate ? (I’m on a SSD) is there something wrong with my configuration or 10% on a night is average loss on suspend ?

Thanks for your informations :smiley:

1 Like

What actually is the difference between suspend and hibernate? When I shut down my laptop, I can only see a suspend but no hibernate button. I'm on a SSD as well running UM 16.04.

When I use suspend on my older laptop, it will die in 8 hours. So just using 10% of your battery sounds phenomenal to me :slight_smile:

If you choose to hibernate then all data is saved to the swap partition and no power required. But I find its just about as fast to just boot up when needed and no need to hibernate. You will even boot faster with a SSD.

1 Like

I’ve never found suspend to be useful unless you are one of those “road warriors” that always needs to have the computer at hand and never get very far from a charger.

Hibernate was useful on earlier versions of Ubuntu and others that couldn’t remember what you were doing when you logged, off. But Mate 16.04 with Startup Applications “Automatically remember running applications when logging off” has made me turn off hibernation. As was said, its almost as fast to just reboot when resuming and a whole lot faster when shutting down. Current Firefox, Chrome and Chromium do a great job of picking up where you left off, although they don’t restart automatically when you start up after shutdown.

I haven’t tried SSD devices yet (except for a Chrombox that I wiped to install OpenELEC Kodi on) the $/GB is still too high and the capacities too low for my usage.

Ok thanks guys for your feedback !

@maro You have the possibility to enable hibernate by doing some tweaks. I don’t know why this isn’t a option by default.

@wally333 I guess I will just shutdown my laptop, you right it is quite fast but I like to get back everything when I open my laptop and shutdown doesn’t allow that (like you said chrome etc…)

If I recall, this might be because in the past, hibernation has caused issues where it never returned to the session (losing anything that was open). It might be fine now or still considered a bit experimental, I don’t really know.

Just to add, I’ve hardly run into suspend issues on any hardware I’ve used (desktop / laptop) – it varies by system really. I even put my desktop to sleep when I’m away for a while: saves a bit of power; cools it down a bit; resumes fast. :slight_smile:

Yeh exactly, suspend is nice but jut for few moments… It should not be used for a night or more… instead we should shutdown it I guess :confused:
That’s what I will do for now !

I’ve heard in the past of something called hybrid suspend !? Do you remember of anything like this ?

I’ve never used Hybrid Suspend, but I have a rough idea, it’s does both – Sleep (to RAM) and Hibernate (to disk). That seems more useful if the battery dies, the whole session isn’t lost.

It might still be available, but these instructions are over 3 years old:

Ow alright I see so this is not really interesting for my quest ^^
Thanks for that !

I guess I will just shutdown my laptop, you
right it is quite fast but I like to get back everything when I open my
laptop and shutdown doesn’t allow that (like you said chrome etc…)

If you change your home page settings in Firefox, Chromium, and Chrome to “resume where I left off” along with “Automatically remember running applications when logging off” in Startup Applications you’ll be very close to what I think you are looking for.

Works for me!

I didn’t know that. So it does not depend on my hardware but actually none of you sees a separate hibernate button when shutting down the UM 16.04 system?

The button doesn’t appear by default. Here’s an article (for Ubuntu 12.04, may still be in date) on re-enabling it:

1 Like