What's your most important bugfix or new feature for 20.04?

One that I'd really like that's pretty minor is the ability to modify a panel that is fully covered by apps. Specifically, I reduce the size of the left panel on linux, but doing so requires moving the dock so I can click on the panel underneath.

1 Like

Agree on these two. Now, for some I haven't seen mentioned here:

• A color profile GUI for monitors, printers et al. Xfce made one on the latest release. Know some people who work on stuff that need to change their monitors color profile, and what better than to make it as easy as posible?

• For gamers and for people who want more precise movements, mouse acceleration, speed and sensitivity settings in the GUI.

• A way to change the information pane of Caja to the right so it doesnt take over the places pane and I can have both at the same time.

What would giving marco an OpenGl compositor entail? Smoother transitions and other stuff?

2 Likes

What would giving marco an OpenGl compositor entail? Smoother transitions and other stuff?

Wobbly windows and explosion effects when closing windows :wink:

I'm joking!

It would enable the non-GTK parts of MATE to be rendered by the GPU. Think shadows, transparency, thumbnails. Might also improve GTK rendering (I'll have to check on this. I know GTK can do some level of hardware rendering, but it might need to be assisted by the compositor).

It could also allow us to do some nice features eventually, like smooth transitions, zoom, etc.

4 Likes

So like some kind of 3d acceleration? Either way a native zoom option would be a blast.

Other question, why Opengl instead of Vulkan?

2 Likes

why Opengl instead of Vulkan?

Because I don't understand Vulkan that much :stuck_out_tongue:

But it should be doable either way

3 Likes

I'm very disappointed that we do not have file-previews in Caja. I really miss them:

So I think that we do need to re-implement previews for 20.04 LTS release.

And may be prioritize some of our tasks from GTK3 regressions from a GTK2 perspective .

4 Likes

I'm very disappointed that we do not have file-previews on Caja. I really miss them

Yes, me too. I have an in-progress branch to fix this, but it's not trivial. I've had it for many months now (maybe even from over a year ago), and every now and then I re-take it, but it's really sloooow progress at this point :confused:

4 Likes

And showing thumbnails in Caja list view. Really miss that one.

2 Likes

@vkareh, you did great work with the improvements to HiDPI . :+1:

6 Likes

OpenGL is older than Vulkan, so desktop will be "accelerated" on a lot of videocards, compare only with Vulkan one ...so OpenGL is the way for consistent desktop run on all video cards.
I just note that KDE took almost 2-3 years to have a consistent desktop run on OpenGL, so I might afraid that Mate will take longer, as it has no so many developers comparing with KDE, this is only a guess ...

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Better themes for 20.04

There has been a problem with the "focus"(?) on multi-user logins for quite some time. I have a computer that I try to get my mother to use and I had to give crazy directions, something like: "When you click on your name nothing happens, so first click on the name that is already active, THEN you can click on your name and login". This seems like a fundamentally nice feature to have working properly. Thank you.

2 Likes

Fix the audio & HDMI interface. One should be able to plug in the HDMI to the PC and expect the default audio to be sent to HDMI device. Likewise, when the HDMI is disconnected, the audio should default back to the PC. And these settings should hold after screen saver mode and rebooting. 18.04 requires constant manually adjusted sound settings when frequently using an HDMI interface.

2 Likes

This is indeed annoying.
In the meantime, you can switch between cards/audio outputs with keyboard shortcuts using a simple script if you want to save some time.

How to

How to:
Type pactl list short sinks in a terminal window.
This will display the available cards.
In my case:

|7|alsa_output.usb-FiiO_DigiHug_USB_Audio-01.analog-stereo|module-alsa-card.c|s16le 2ch 44100Hz|SUSPENDED|
|8|alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra5|module-alsa-card.c|s16le 2ch 44100Hz|SUSPENDED|

If I want to set the hdmi sound as default sound card, I need to enter pactl set-default-sink 8 or pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra5. I recommend the latter as numbers can change if you add/remove sound cards. Naturally, entering pactl set-default-sink 7 or pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-FiiO_DigiHug_USB_Audio-01.analog-stereo will revert to the other card.

If you get the wrong HDMI output when typing pactl list short sinks, you can use pacmd list sinks to spot the available profiles (outputs) and card number for your HDMI sound. It defaulted to hdmi-stereo-extra4 while I needed hdmi-stereo-extra5. So I had to use pactl set-card-profile 1 output:hdmi-stereo-extra5 to use the right output.

The scripts in my case:
To get USB sound:

#!/bin/bash
pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-FiiO_DigiHug_USB_Audio-01.analog-stereo
pactl set-sink-volume 1 100%
notify-send -i mate -t 1500  'Switching to USB audio'

To get HDMI sound:

#!/bin/bash
pactl set-card-profile 1 output:hdmi-stereo-extra5
pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra5
 notify-send -i mate -t 1500  'Switching to HDMI audio'

Just edit them with the right outputs and volume if needed , save them and make them executable (chmod +x scriptname or in the file properties, permissions tab) and then create keyboard shortcuts using mate-keybinding-properties (add, give it a name, browse to the right script and then assign a key combination in the list).

While this is not the perfect solution (other than fixing the bug, fiddling with udev rules would allow to automate the thing I assume), it can save quite some time in the long run if you often change outputs..

or use this:

1 Like

Not really a bug, but an easy way to implement DNS over TLS would be a nice/useful feature.

double +1 (ok, this would be +2 then... :smiley: )

#1: Separate Caja actions from main process - if there is a slow or not responding storage, Caja has to be killed completely for me

#2: Implement file tags in Caja

#3: Just give me a toggle to get back normal scrollbars (with arrows at the ends where I can click on and when I click below the scrollbar, it should scroll exactly one page and not center the scrollbar on my click point - this is especially important for touchscreens where it isn't possible to scroll page per page otherwise - having a directory with many files, these new scrollbars are completely useless on touchscreens, because you are "flying" over too many files on each micro-touch!)

#3 is a GTK3 "feature". Check the "GTK3 regressions" thread etc - it's explained in there along with ways to fix it.

I would like to see a bug fixed with the global menubar. When there are no active windows open, the global menubar shows directories in the home folder as menus. When you click on the menu, you see the contents of that directory. I would like to see the menus for Caja shown on the menubar, when there are no active windows open, or just a Desktop placeholder with no menus. I posted about this issue here.