What's your most important bugfix or new feature for 20.04?

The most feature I wish: The possibility to format USB stick directly in Caja, as Nautilus in Gnome ; because kids and old persons need it:

Hidden due to tangential relevance. I'm sorry, what?

Now I do understand if you are presenting this as a feature parity request alone. But to say that both children and the elderly cannot learn to use tools like gnome-disks or gparted is giving very little credit to human ingenuity and reproduction of knowledge. In fact, out of spite I would now say that the problem should be assigned as wontfix and rather, have it be a third-party solution where the capability to format is provided exclusively as an extension which calls upon software assigned via update-alternatives.

Stupidity comes from not knowing, but ignorance is the refusal to learn. I've met enough ignorant people in my life to know that when they are forced to learn, begrudgingly they commit to learning and oftentimes, leave better for it. There is a community so vast, so deep and so well-archived where ignorance is not an excuse of inaccessibility, but of laziness, and I am under the belief that people need to quit being lazy about their software choices, and what they do with that software, especially when interacting with hardware.

This laziness leads into the "convenience" which brings us into scenarios such as service software spying on us all, and software integrations which do not just break the UNIX principle of one tool, one task but also makes it impossible for users to change what software integrates with which else. I will be damned if I let such convenience stand in the way of user choice and knowledge. Please have a little more faith in humankind to figure out something so basic as formatting a storage media.

2 Likes

Now that Xfce developers have chosen to adopt CSDs for their next release it seems MATE will become more popular as one of the few remaining traditional desktops.

I expect more users and hopefully more developers/contributors coming to the MATE desktop. It's nice that MATE developers try to keep it traditional despite GTK3.

It seems MATE 1.24 packages will be in Ubuntu MATE 20.04. Should be a good release with 5 years support.

2 Likes

Hallo Bernie

I finally got around to installing dconf editor and chasing down the setting. One toggled switch later and the week numbers are there again. Thank you for help. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like