When on earth can we finally get MATE 1.14 officially?

I know Fedora has already adopted 1.14 in the rawhide of Fedora24.

But when will the Debian sid finally catch up?

OK, then let's see openSUSE

OK, let's see Mageia

Martin sent a message to patrons recently that said 16.10 is going to have 1.14 using GTK3. The switch to GTK3 is pretty major for MATE in Debian and Ubuntu, so it will take some time. It is already available for 16.10 in the Ubuntu MATE developers’ “crazy mate” test PPA. As a lark, I installed it in a VM and it does mostly work, so I’d expect 1.14 in a yakkety-mate PPA soon and then in 16.10 before the betas. A lot of applets and so on don’t yet work with GTK3, and they might not all get fixed this cycle.

[edit: fixed typo, formatting]

6 Likes

Yep, two months ago, I decided to build an UbuntuMATE clone on SuSE from scratch; I even built-in a Debian translator, to talk Ubuntu to the terminal :grin:. Novices at my office could not tell the difference, at first; but YaST gave it away.

I have been running MATE 1.14 nearly flawlessly since it showed up in the SuSE repos, there. This experience has really been trouble free from the start. The only thing that is frustrating would be that the panel apps "complete" shows "no indicators" no matter which lib file, etc., fix I have applied.

The wait will be due to things like this, I am thinking. GTK3 is the scapegoat for so much, it seems! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

For 16.04, MATE 1.14 is coming in a few weeks in a PPA, see here:

1 Like