Why do Linux distros not like hibernation?

I'm using Linux a few years, because win10, per say.
I tried lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, mint, but majority I used Ubuntu 18.04, and now I'm in love with MATE. But what is the deal about hibernation? I know the differences about sleep, suspend, hibernate and I saw people burning your notebook because they don't know about this (Notebook in suspension mode inside the bag on hot days)

Well, I'm home, I close lid.. I don't wanna worry about if it's is (and will stills) on ac power next minutes, hours, days... If it's stills on ac power, suspend mode is ok, but if I unplug power after this and battery is draining... till power off?

I don't understand why there is no native hibernate option in all Linux distros, especially when installed on moderns notebooks.

When we try distros, using a pen-drive stick, ok the hibernation mode is there, but after installed, when we try to enable this, we need to do a little carnival... and often times, it's don't work, l tried this:

there's no files inside 50-local.d directory

I'm afraid to use 20.4 MATE on this notebook (I have Ubuntu 18.04 in other notebook, with hibernation working) because I can lose data if I just close lid, move notebook to another room and forget to plug the ac power.

Tks guys!

Hi :slight_smile:

I think the first think to check is your swap size and compare it to your memory.

You need to have your swap higher than your ram to be able to hibernate your computer.

Could you please explain "You need to have your swap higher than your ram to be able to hibernate your computer." Why is this necessary? Thanks.

When you are about to send your computer to hibernate, the computer will write all the content of your RAM memory inside the SWAP memory. The SWAP have to be able to store all data your computer is now using before hibernate. So if you are trying to save your 75% loaded 8GB RAM memory inside a 1GB SWAP partition, its not gonna work.

2 Likes

Hi there!

my swap size is, ok :upside_down_face:

I had this notebook with Ubuntu 18.04 with Hibernation working, but ONLY after Installed pm-utils, edited grub, changed setting by dconf-editor, and removed some remarks in /etc/systemd/logind.conf... (Like I said, works.. but never on native way...)

Now I have MATE in this note, same partitions size, etc... I was happy when tested MATE with pen-drive stick and hibernation was there, working on a stick!!!!!

But after install, no hibernation options...

I tried same procedures that worked on Ubuntu 18.04, but no success.

I just don't understand why this important feature is not native on modern distros, in modern hardware like notebooks....