Wifi is connected but internet is unavailable

Hi there, I freshely installed an Ubuntu Mate 22.04.1 LTS on a 2007 24inch iMac 4G Ram 250SSD and it makes it a perfect office station for internet.

But, I have an issue with Wifi card :frowning:

I have a Broadcom BCD4321 PCI card in it. I installed the Broadcom proprietary driver for BCM4321 that I found on this page : wifi_broadcom_bcm43xx [Wiki ubuntu-fr] (in french), it says it is the apt://firmware-b43-installer

When I turn on the wifi on top right panel, it finds many available wifi connection (actually way more than when the iMac was on iOS, looks like the sensibility of the wifi card is higher). I connect to my own wifi box, then first it's takes unusual long time, then when it's connected, it's not really working as firefox doesn't load pages, and everything else that use internet doesn't either.

I rebooted but it doesnt work better.

I have issue with RJ45 Lan connection too, when I switch on wifi, it stops the lan, when it switch off wifi, I have to reboot to get back lan.

It's a very weird behaviour, and I don't get what happens.

If anybody can clear my mind with few tips, you're welcome.

Thanks in advance

A few command from terminal :

lspci -nn -d 14e4:

returns

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4328] (rev 03)

also,

sudo lshw -C network

returns

*-network DÉSACTIVÉ       
       description: Interface réseau sans fil
       produit: BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n
       fabricant: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
       identifiant matériel: 0
       information bus: pci@0000:04:00.0
       nom logique: wls4
       version: 03
       numéro de série: 00:**:**:**:**
       bits: 64 bits
       horloge: 33MHz
       fonctionnalités: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration : broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=6.30.223.271 (r587334) latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       ressources : irq:16 mémoire:d0300000-d0303fff mémoire:d0000000-d00fffff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       produit: 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       fabricant: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
       identifiant matériel: 0
       information bus: pci@0000:05:00.0
       nom logique: ens5
       version: 13
       numéro de série: 00:**:**:**:**:**
       taille: 1Gbit/s
       capacité: 1Gbit/s
       bits: 64 bits
       horloge: 33MHz
       fonctionnalités: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration : autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.28 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
       ressources : irq:29 mémoire:d0200000-d0203fff portE/S:2000(taille=256) mémoire:d0220000-d023ffff

also ,

nmcli device

returns

DEVICE  TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION          
ens5    ethernet  connecté      Connexion filaire 1 
wls4    wifi      indisponible  --                  
lo      loopback  non-géré      --

And once it's connected in wifi

nmcli device

returns

DEVICE  TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION    
wls4    wifi      connecté      WifiDeLaBrise 
ens5    ethernet  indisponible  --            
lo      loopback  non-géré      -
1 Like

Welcome @alexandre43 to the community!

1 Like

Hello !

Finally found an old usb wifi dongle lost in a drawer, plugged it in, and got wifi thru it

Thanks all

2 Likes

I use Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi. The thing that I've learned is that it is very fussy about its wifi. I've never manged to get a four bar signal from my workdesk....but if I move the router even slightly or if I move the Pi just slightly then the wifi indicator drops doen to two bars......and nothing here works on two bars.
Phil

Is your Pi build in a metal case ?
Does it help if you remove the case (or use a plastic case) ?

Hi....Yes, I have a metal heat sink case.
It helped when I moved the Pi nearer to the router. I now have it as far left as it will go on my desk and I have my router as close to the Pi as possible. Still, the wifi signal has to come up a flight of stairs and round the door into my office. I really ought to fit an ethernet cable but that might ruin the decor.

A metal case works like a Faraday cage. It prevents radiofrequencies to enter or leave the case. Do you have the possibility to attach an external antenna ?

My case is made from aluminium. Pi works quite well on four bars.