Wifi networks not showing up

Hi Fred,

are you logged in as “Guest”, you shouldn’t get permission denied if you are the owner of the system (normal user)!.

Are you running any other OS’es than the persistent USB stick on your hard drive?. :smiley:

Both of the above showed nothing missing or broken.
I think it might be the “soft blocked wifi” problem, but I don’t know how to get arround the permission denied.

How do I find out who I am logged in as?

The only Os on the stick is MATE

Try Larry’s suggestion with “sudo”!. :smiley: That maybe why you are getting denied because you didn’t use “sudo”?. :smiley:

Found the blocked device, entered “rfkill unblock 0”

Returned “Permission denied”

I started the terminal with ctrl-alt t
Warning NOOB floundering about

Try this!. :smiley: You must use “sudo” in front of such commands!. :frowning:

Great catch, I am glad I told you exactly what I entered…

Did it right and it returned to the command prompt.

Did a “sudo rfkill list” and it is still blocked…

Are my problems maybe coming from doing the live session and we are beating a dead horse?

Also does just exiting (using the power button top right corner) save all my changes back to the USB stick?

Hi Fred,

first take a look here, I don’t have time to read through it at the moment as I am going offline now and will be back again tomorrow!. :smiley:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Will do and will let you know. Thanks

1 Like

I tried reading that post yesterday and got dizzy. For a NOOB it is daunting.

Instead I used Universal USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ on my windows system. It was dirt simple.

I have a 250GB drive on its way. My plan is to dual boot on my Compaq nx6325 between MATE and Windows 7 while I learn more about Linux.

Right now it is painfully slow, doesn’t like to exit gracefully and has enough other problems that I don’t want to waste your time on the persistent live trail. So, after I get the drive install both OSes I will get back to you if it still is going sideways.

The nx6325 is an AMD dual core 64bit machine, but can only use about 2.8GB of ram. I am hoping it will give me enough of a test bed to get a good feel for Linux.

Later, Fred

1 Like

Hi Fred,

that link you provided doesn’t do persistence off the cuff, you have to work a little on it and that is why it won’t save anything!.

Get the new drive then we can talk further!. :smiley:

I did the extra work and it remembers some things, but not all things. Before it was starting from a clean install every time.

Yep, the new drive is the plan. Not spinning any more wheels til then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the new drive, cloned my W7 over to it, verified it would boot and discovered somehow Ubuntu has screwed up my wifi and Bluetooth, they are both dead.

Undaunted I charged ahead. Tried to use the Ubuntu installer to partition the drive, but advanced disk management wouldn’t come up.

Dropped back to Windows and did the patitioning there instead. Booted up into Ubuntu, did the install, chose the two update options at the beginning, answered all the questions (location, keyboard). Let it run to completion and tried to shut down. It shut down, but left the power button lit and the sound mute button on.

Held down power til it turned off, restarted and it never made it to the chose which OS. Instead I was greeted by
error attempted to read or write outside of ‘hd0’
entering rescue mode
grub rescue> _

I’m tired and off to bed. Waiting for you to tell me what to try first. So far I am woefully unimpressed. Sort of kike the Mint fiasco I went though a few years back.

Thanks, Fred

Unplug your W7 drive.
Plug your future Ubuntu drive.
Boot the Live USB into install mode.
“Erase disk and install Ubuntu”

If it holds on shutdown after install do the following instead of holding the power button:
MagicSysRq + REISUO ( Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key )

And exactly where are my dual boot capabilities?
Are you just trying to verify that it will install, run and WiFi works?

Thanks, Fred

Right, my bad.
Instead of “Erase disk and install Ubuntu” use “Install Ubuntu next to Windows7”

I gave up on anybody answering me hare and started a new topic named

in Help and Support. Which is where I tried that trick and others. Cause I have even bigger problems.

So lets abandon this thread and use that one.
Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred,

I will close this one (thread) for you!. :smiley: