Wifi show as connected, but doesn't work

Hello everyone.

I’m having problems connecting to the network trough wireless connection, but If I try to connect trough LAN (cable) it works fine.

Wifi shows as connected, even a bit before as the desktop fully loads itself. But when I go to the browser it says I have no internet connection, even if it the applet shows strong signal. What could be wrong?

When I plug in cable Enternet starts up, but wifi still show as connected too, is that normal?

I’m having Asus laptop and using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with all updates and MATE 1.16.1.

info from sudo lshw -C network

*-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: enp2s0
       version: 10
       serial: f0:79:59:31:77:75
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168g-3_0.0.1 04/23/13 ip=192.168.0.12 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
       resources: irq:45 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7904000-f7904fff memory:f7900000-f7903fff
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: wlp3s0
       version: 01
       serial: ac:b5:7d:65:02:bf
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=4.4.0-67-generic firmware=N/A ip=10.42.0.1 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
       resources: irq:19 memory:f7800000-f787ffff memory:f7880000-f788ffff

I’m not very good when it comes to that much technical stuff to know what those things means trough, so any help would be welcomed, please.

Anyone can help, please?

I can connect to that wifi with my other laptop running UM 14.04 and phone with no problem, but not this Asus laptop I’m using now :frowning:

Wath is the exact error of the browser ?
in terminal : ping 8.8.8.8 and paste the output.

Yes it is normal .

Something like server couldn’t be found.

From terminal: ping 8.8.8.8
connect: Network is unreachable

While connected to the wifi right click the network-manager and choose “connection information” and paste the screenshot". But disconnect from the ethernet connection since it takes priority over wifi.

Reset the settings for the connection . Maybe it will help :
Right click the applet . Edit connections and delete your wifi connection and connect again.

4 Likes

@ele Perhaps the page below may be of some help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/773463/qualcomm-atheros-qca9565-not-detected-by-ubuntu-16-04

The answer, although specific to the person who asked the question, may also help you. Good luck ele.

It’s working! :grinning: I’m writing this using my wifi connection. :grin:

Such a simple solution in the end. Why I didn’t think of it earlier :thinking:

Huge thanks to you @IvCHo for all your help :thumbsup:

Also thanks for suggestion @mdooley

Well as I saw Network Manager output in IPv4 tab there is no Default Route wich is wrong , and IPv6 was disabled . Maybe your network relies on IPv6 to get connected to the internet .
Also forgot to give you a tip . You don’t have to change the entire system language for output in english . Just do LC_ALL=C [command] , and you should be good to go.

2 Likes

Something was wrong with IPv4, because IP address was shorter then normal and also usually there are 3 other stuff written under there. I don’t know much about those things so didn’t know what to do. Also didn’t know IPv6 addresses looks like that either or see it was ignored.

Thanks. Does it also work if you just wanna open some programs in English?

One more question about network connection. If you have both wifi and wired connection on at the same time, how do you know which one laptop uses?

Hi ele,

Realise you’ve now fixed the issue. If you encounter future WiFi connection issues, sometimes resetting network-manager is all that’s required.

sudo service network-manager restart

Now the issue is resolved, should the Network Connections screen capture be removed, not sure if it contains information others may try and exploit?

Hi @DaveB.

Yeah fixed the problem. Thanks for another tip.

I was just thinking if I should leave the screencapture or delete it, so I now deleted that post, hope that should work.

Hi,

Just to add my 2 bits worth. I was connecting to my router via wireless but was not getting connected to the internet. This happened after a power outage and I had reset my modem/router. Turns out my Verizon router was blocking my laptops', access out. Just had to login my verzon router and unblock it Annoying, but something to consider when experiencing wireless connectivity issues.