Will timeshift work in mate?

I really want to have the ability to use system restore and I understand the closest Linux equivalent is timeshift. Is timeshift supported in my case 16.04? Can you simply downloaded from the website is a deb package or should you use the terminal?

Timeshift is already in the Ubuntu repositories, to download it you can use your package manager or in terminal:

sudo apt install timeshift

I have not used this package, can’t say how it works.

###Edit

I just realized (just informed by a kind soul) that this package is not in our software manager. I have it available in mine from an old conky PPA that I have installed. So sorry, but forget the above. For others, here is what I mean:

~$ apt-cache policy timeshift
timeshift:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 16.11.1~385~ubuntu16.04.1
  Version table:
     16.11.1~385~ubuntu16.04.1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/teejee2008/ppa/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
1 Like

Just install it via the timeshift ppa (see timeshift website). It works perfectly. I have used it to make automated backups and have restored several times. Super tool!

1 Like

Complete guide here:

1 Like

Works out of the box! I find that tinkering is usually required with backup software. Maybe this should be a feature request for the Software Boutique :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be an ideal candidate for the Boutique. The same developer’s (Teejee2008) program Aptik is already in the Boutique.

BTW, you may want to exclude the Thunderbird mail folder in the filters/exclude folder option, so that the large continually changing mail file does not get backed up each time. By default, Timeshift backs up the dot folders and files in the home folder.